Home Forums General Discussion WD40 (Old site)

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Barry & Maggie

Barry & Maggie
        Administrator
        WD40 is one of those excellent products that is just perfect for those certain specific jobs, like freeing off rusted or jammed components, sticking hinges and suchlike. PlusGas, GT85 are similar products that have ‘releasing’ properties, and there are others too.

I’ve mentioned before that WD40 is NOT, however, a lubricant, even if it might feel like it to the touch – it has only about 10 to 15% mineral oil in its make-up. It’s a penetrant (a very good one too), whereas PlusGas is described as a “dismantling lubricant”, and GT85, apart from penetrating, also has lubricating properties via a PTFE content. But WD40, originally only developed as a water displacement fluid, was discovered to fortuitously also have penetrating properties too.

So, in short, if you use WD40 to free off any components, it’s important that you then lubricate the item with an appropriate product, such as a very light oil (eg sewing machine oil), or 3in1 oil, engine oil, grease or silicon. I would add that, personally, even when using the other products with supposedly ‘lubricating properties’, depending upon the item, I would also add my own appropriate lubricant.

The roller blind mechanism I’ve already mentioned responds well to just GT85 PTFE lubrication. This would also be good for small plastic hinges, curtain runners and suchlike.

Plusgas on the other hand is a more ‘rufty-tufty’ releasing agent, imparting a degree more of lubrication to the dismantled item – this is good for emergency underbonnet use, where proper lubrication can be carried out a short while later.

Silicon sprays are also good for light lubrication/protection (furniture polishes often contain it and can be used to lubricate things like drawer runners where proper lubrication isn’t immediately available). It’s also good to stop squeaking plastic too. Silicon grease is a favourite of mine for all sorts of uses, mainly plastic lubrication/assembly. Tom has pointed out that using silicon spray (I use the grease) to lubricate door and boot lid sealing rubbers before the winter frosts, stops the rubber freezing to the metal and ripping the rubber as you open the door.

But “locks” should not be lubricated with oils, grease, WD40 or any of the other products mentioned. There are special products solely for use on locks, mainly containing graphite, in either spray or even powder form.

WD40 – a great product but only for certain jobs… Here are 2,000 suggestions…!

https://tinyurl.com/ycw4ywcm

and another 40 in case they’re not mentioned…

https://tinyurl.com/o4p3997

So, no, WD40 is NOT a lubricant.

Barry & Maggie

July 7, 2018 at 6:35 PM
        Edit Delete Flag Quote & Reply

alan
        Very useful info, thanks Barry

July 13, 2018 at 12:03 PM
        Edit Delete Flag Quote & Reply

Barry & Maggie
        Administrator
        My dear late Father (bless him!) laid up and stored his beautiful old motorcycle in his rather leaky garage. Thinking that he was “preserving it”, he smothered it in WD40. By the next year it was covered in rust – rust that I am now having to deal with! So in the short term, WD40 is great for those specific tasks of freeing-off rusted items and temporarily waterproofing them. But long term coating or lubricating needs to be done by other products. On a different subject, our electric steps must NOT be “lubricated”. I know this is counter-intuitive when your every instinct is to free off a sticking step with lubrication. Many of you already know this, but I mention it again for those who don’t. What apparently happens is that the oil/grease residue becomes extremely sticky as the volatile elements vapourise. This residue attracts the dirt, dust and mud that finds its way into the step box and forms a “grinding paste” that damages the working components of the step. The cure for a sticking step is jet-washing in through the gap between the step and the housing. And I mean COPIOUS amounts of high pressure water. When you first do this, you’ll be staggered at the amount of ‘crud’ that will probably wash out. But keep going… You need to do this for a long time to get all of it washed out. Then thereafter at regular intervals, do it again, even if the step isn’t sticking and it will hopefully keep it running feely and sweetly. Please don’t use WD40 on it…! 🙂

Barry & Maggie

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.