Home Forums General Discussion Think You Have An Electroblock Problem?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Barry & Maggie

I thought I had an Electroblock problem… no 12v, no working step, no lights, no nuffink! But when plugged into 240v, everything worked!  I suspected the ‘trip’ on the Electroblock…

I consulted Martin Bushnell at ‘A and N Caravan Services’ (Formerly ‘Atlantic Motorhomes’) and I received a magnificent, fully comprehensive reply, including a pdf attachment with more precise information.

Part of Martin’s advice was to check/recheck fuses, because the problems my Exsis was experiencing is normally because of “battery or wiring problems”. I checked again, fuses that I didn’t think were connected, and Lo! & behold, not one, but TWO fuses had blown.

So… no Electroblock problem, no removing it, packing it up, sending it off for an unnecessary ‘no fault found’ “repair”. And all because Martin is a really helpful guy, not looking to make a quick buck, but genuinely helping people, maybe with the chance of losing a job. What a gentleman.

So. If you have Electroblock problems (or think you have!) you know who to call…
        Martin Bushnell
        A & N Caravan Services,
        N. Wales
        (so no visitors – they’re still in lockdown)
        07771 825303

Our own members have used Martin and his colleague Alan (who has since sadly passed away) in the past and have reported that they are excellent.

Barry

Tresjolie
        Participant

Hi Barry

How are you

Is the pdf available to us all

Tom

Barry & Maggie

Yes!  Absolutely, Tom.  But.. I can’t see how to post a pdf here.  I’ve tried to copy and paste, but that doesn’t work either.  I’ll send it to Chris and hope that he can post it.

Its titled “How to Remove and Replace an Electroblock”

Barry

Barry & Maggie

Found out how to cut & paste it!  Here it is, in its’ entirety…

Removing and Installing a Schaudt Elektroblock.

Removal

Do not pull any plugs out of the EBL until you first:

If your Electroblock is a model that has a battery isolation switch on the front (black rocker switch about ½” square) switch this off by pressing the bottom of the switch in.
              Disconnect the mains EHU supply and in a Motorhome switch off the ignition and remove the key.
              Photograph or record which fuses are in which slots on the front.
              If one is connected, disconnect the Solar panel from the Solar regulator. Do not leave the regulator connected to the solar panel as the next step of removing the Battery leads may damage it and put a spike into the Habitation electrics. The Schaudt LR 1218 documentation states in section 5, “Malfunction of or damage to connected consumers:
              1. Do not operate the solar charge regulator without a battery.
              2. Disconnect the connector on the solar charge regulator before changing or removing the battery”.

Isolate the Solar Panel from the Regulator first, not the regulator from the Battery or EBL.
              If you have an electric step, retract it now as once you have disconnected the EBL it may be stuck out. Manually hold closed the frost protection valve (a Clothes peg does a good job) as taking off the power may drain the water heater tank.
              Switch off 12v at the Control Panel, usually above the door.
              On an EBL 220 and other later models you may need to ‘isolate the battery’ on the control panel, if you do not do this there is a chance the EBL will not power up after installation. Check the manual for how to do this.
              Remove the leads from the Habitation and in a Motorhome, the starter battery. Sometimes it is hard to gain access to both leads, so just removing one (the -) is usually ok.
              Label the + Battery lead (often Blue or Black) with Red tape and the – Battery Lead (often Brown) with Black Tape.
              Remove the 2amp fuse and 50amp fuse from their holders in the area of the habitation battery. Do the same under the bonnet (or Cab floor) for the similar 2amp and 50amp and additionally the 20amp near the Starter battery.
              Double check EHU is not connected and remove the plugs from the front of the EBL starting with the Mains IEC (Kettle type) lead.
              On units like the EBL 208 and 225 each Lucar Spade connector should be labelled and insulated as they are removed. Also take lots of photos.
              The Control panel connectors with the very thin wires are easily broken, take great care and do not pull on the wires, you must pull only on the connector itself and some are difficult to grip. A Gentle slight ‘rocking’ motion usually works well.

Read this next paragraph in its entirety before undoing these connectors. Clearly label the 3 primary connections at the BACK of the Elektroblock, on relevant models like the EBL 99 and 100. Failure to disconnect all the batteries earlier will leave some of these wires in a ‘live’ state. Take great care not to short them, touch them against each other or to the rear metal panel. Insulate each one well. We suggest you wrap insulating tape around the screwdriver blade (Flat blade not Pozidrive) to ensure it doesn’t contact the metal backplate of the EBL unit when undoing the three screws. Undo them in this order: Wohnr/Leisure battery (usually a Black lead) then the centre lead Minus (usually twin Brown leads) then the Starter (usually Red lead). The screws should be very hard to undo, you will require a quality stout flat blade screwdriver.

Once the plugs and wires are disconnected there are normally only 4 screws holding the EBL to the floor or wall.
              Pack it carefully in a strong carboard box with bubble wrap or scrunched up newspaper to absorb any shock during transit. We might not be able to repair your unit if there is physical damage.

Reinstallation
              If the fuses were removed repopulate the fuses in front panel fuse holders as per your photograph. Do not put any plugs or connectors into the EBL until you first disconnect the mains supply, in a Motorhome switch off the ignition and remove the key.
              If one is connected, disconnect the Solar panel from the regulator. Do not leave the regulator connected to the solar panel as the next step of removing the Battery leads may damage the regulator. Please be extra careful about reconnecting the battery the correct way around, German builders often use Brown for Negative and Blue or Black for Positive.
              Remove the leads from the Habitation and in a Motorhome, the Starter batteries.
              Double check that no plugs are inserted at the front of the box then connect the three (or four) fat wires at the back of the EBL IN THE ORDER they were removed above –
              RED (ROT) to its connector. Brown (Braun) to its connector, Black (Swarz) to its connector. Note that some Motor home builders use coloured cable that is different to that suggested by Schaudt. If the battery leads have not been disconnected take great care not to touch the leads to each other or to the Aluminium back panel.
              If any of these leads do touch or short you are likely to damage the EBL. Check the big fuses (between 30 – 50 amp) usually located around the Starter and Leisure batteries.
              Plug in the MNL multiple plugs into their sockets, then the control panel connectors (with the thin wires) but do not plug in the Mains Kettle lead yet.
              Reconnect the battery leads TAKING GREAT CARE to put them on the right way around, positive to positive, negative to negative. Ignore the cable colours, go by the symbols on the battery terminals. Replace the 2amp fuse and 50amp fuse from their holders in the area of the habitation battery. Do the same under the bonnet (or Cab floor) for the similar 2amp and 50amp and additionally the 20amp near the Starter battery. If you get the 2amp and 20amp mixed up, the 2amp goes in the holder with the thinner cables.

Turn on the EBL by pressing the black battery switch in at the top to EIN. Some EBL units like the EBL 109, 208, etc do not have ON/OFF EIN/AUS switch.
              If the Control Panel won’t turn on double check all leads, connections and fuses. If it is a later EBL, like the EBL 220 try activating the battery isolation on the DT/LT … control and switch panel, see removal instructions.
              If the battery leads touched on the wrong terminal for even a fraction of a second, the EBL control electronics will suffer reverse Polarity failure and will need repair.

If all is ok, Plug in the mains 240v EHU into the side of the Motorhome.
              Then plug in the EBL mains kettle type lead. The EBL should ‘click’ when the lead is inserted on most but not all units.
              If it clicks continually the charger current is not able to leave the EBL and the clicking is the safety relay shutting it down. Pull the kettle lead out and the clicking should stop. Replace any blown fuses in the front of the EBL and around both the Starter and Leisure batteries and replace the kettle lead, you should now hear a single click. If the Control Panel won’t turn on double check all leads and connections.
              If there any problems email us as soon as possible.
              Test all functionality, every light, every appliance, Running fridge from Alternator, Alternator charging, etc. Everything.
              Don’t assume anything is working until you test it. You have disturbed wiring, connectors, Fuses, etc so things that previously worked might not now. Removing and replacing an EBL can have quite a traumatic effect on the connectors and wiring in some hands.
              Always update the “Battery Nominal Capacity” (see instructions at the bottom of this page) after making any changes to a system with LCD screens like the DT201, DT220, etc or when an Elektroblock EBL is replaced, like an EBL 100, 101, 220, etc.
              Note that the settings and values of the old box may have been lost giving confusing readings for the Digital display EBL units, like the EBL 101, EBL 220. Things like the Amp hour (Ah) values will need to be relearned by the EBL and this can take a few days to get back to normal.
              With very best regards

Martin Bushnell
              Senior Engineer
              A & N Caravan Services

tango
              Participant

Dear Exsis enthusiasts,

I hope you are all well.

My EBL 99 doesn’t seem to work anymore. No 12v distributed anywhere.

The fuses have been checked and they are all ok. Only one has not been checked, the 220v 3.15A, which is under the aluminium plate. I tried to remove the 4 plastic caps (to no avail), under which screws should be present and allow me to access to this 220v fuse.

Am I right to insist in checking this fuse ?

Is it normal that those plastic caps are difficult to extract/cut ?

I have seen in another (french) forum that switching/unswitching about 20 times the main battery connector on the EBL 99 (einschalten/ausschalten) could do the trick (a contact spray is also to be applied)..

Could someone please direct me on which steps should I go through to try to solve this problem?

Many thanks and happy new Exsis year

Fred & Gill
                Participant

Hello Tango & hopefully you get your problem resolved soon and easily so that you can enjoy a Happy New Exsis Year.

Sorry, but I am not really able to advise on electrics.

Two simple thoughts, although I expect you have moved beyond these in your problem solving.

First – it’s winter and if batteries are old orbit regularly charged they die – have you checked your battery.?

Second – there is a on/off  12v power supply switch on top of the EBL, has this been inadvertently switched off ?

best wishes, Fred

gazdoubleu
                  Participant

Hi Tango

Worth remembering that if the Elektroblok reads a battery voltage below 11 volt you can’t switch the 12 volt back on. If there’s any additional resistance due to oxidised connectors the Elektroblok may misread the battery voltage. Mine wouldn’t switch on the 12 volt electrics if the battery voltage dropped below 11.5 volts (measured at the battery terminals.)

I sent my EBl99 back to Schaudt for repair just after Brexit due to the usual failed mains power supply. Wish I’d used A&N as whilst I can’t fault Schaudt the unit was stuck in a DHL customs building for weeks & I had to pay import charges to get my own unit back!

tango
                    Participant

Many thanks for your suggestions.

I will revise soon possibly oxidised battery connectors.

Will let you know.

Best regards

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.