Home Forums General Discussion The next generation of Exsis?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Chris and Susan
      Participant

Finally, after 15 years, someone at Hymer is thinking out of the box again!

Have a look at this (thanks to the wonderful Peter & Chris for the link):

https://www.hymer.com/de/en/modelle/technologie-innovation/vision-venture

And video here: https://youtu.be/gLoCHhPPC_Q

It’s great to see Hymer putting some real imagination to work again and looking at compact van solutions.  (Not sure if this would be quite as compact as the Exsis?)

Although it’s hilarious that they’re trying to pretend that the idea of retaining the cab doors and headlights, but moving the windscreen pillars forwards, is a brand-new concept – I’m sure that whoever designed the Exsis in 2004 would like to have a word with them about that!

Still, loads to love about the design – the extending bathroom with separate shower area is brilliant.  And I’d love a van based on Mercedes rather than Fiat if the choice was there

Not sure about sleeping in a glorified tent though….!

Barry & Maggie

Wow! At last!!

My mortgage application has been submitted…

Only a design idea, but…

Hmmm… “Exsis Venture” – I like that.

Barry

Tom and Phyllida
          Participant

Wow – and wow again . If you haven’t looked at the youtube video yet,  you have lost out .

Everything you could need and much more …….

Tom

seanm1
            Participant

I want one-NOW

cvclaydon
              Keymaster

Just seen walk through video of it at Caravan Salon 2020.

Starts at 21.54

Looks very nice!

Barry & Maggie

Thanks, Chris.

Yes!  Doesn’t it look good… REALLY good?

It still misses when up against the Exsis, though, in my opinion…

• front seats don’t turn toward and into any kind of ‘lounging area’;
                  • nowhere near the Tardis-like storage of the Exsis;
                  • a smaller washroom/shower, that you have to “organise” in order to use;
                  • it’s an elevating roof, too, without the Exsis’ level of insulation, although the inflatable double-wall looks very interesting.

After those criticisms, now for the good parts…

• I just LOVE that panoramic lounge;
                  • the rear opening tailgate/platform is magnificent;
                  • four-wheel-drive – excellent;
                  • it’s narrow-bodied and it’s short.

I’d have one in a heartbeat!

But WHY don’t Hymer just update the design of our Exsis a little bit – it would be a winner!!

May I suggest…

• using a standard chassis cab (for economic, cost reasons);
                  • offer four-wheel-drive as an option;
                  • a ‘high top’ like ours, but move the bed backwards so that it can be accommodated by the st8andard chassis cab/windscreen, again for economic cost reasons;
                  • rejig so that a “staircase” can be used instead of a ladder;
                  • the SG Vario as the standard vehicle (two forward-facing seatbelted seats, that can both convert to side-facing settees if required – THE best layout in my opinion);
                  • a larger fridge/freezer as standard;
                  • an oven or microwave as standard;
                  • utilise the unused space above the ‘fridge as more storage.

Other than that, I cannot think of anything that improves our Exsis!

Barry

Chris and Susan
                  Participant

There are loads of videos on Youtube now exploring the Vision Venture at the Dusseldorf show – amazing how many Vanlife bloggers are out there!  I’m sure Hymer are pleased at the amount of attention it has received

This video (in German with English subtitles) is the most thorough I’ve seen yet

– although it does finally contain the one detail which I hadn’t found anywhere else, which to me puts the whole concept out of contention as an Exsis replacement:

6.3 metres!! and yet there’s nowhere near the amount of storage as in the Exsis.  There’s still nothing like our little miracle vans…

Barry & Maggie

Thanks for that, Chris & Susan.  I concur with all you say.

Some very nice design touches (but at what cost?) and some nice new ideas, rare in motor homes these days, where almost all vehicles are just rehashes of old designs.  The one really new breath of fresh air was our Exsis’

If Hymer had put a fraction if the design effort into an updated Exsis SK/SG/Vario, then they would have a VERY desirable product available NOW, and not have to wait until 2025!

Thanks again for that YouTube link.

Barry

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.