Home Forums Modifications & Enhancements Table conversion improvement

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      k9dougie
      Participant

Hi all,

So I wanted an SG when I was in the market to get an Exsis because I liked the idea of a permanent table setup with access through the central aisle. I came across an SK Vario seat version and snapped it up as the inside had been very well looked after along with the mechanics.

Anyway the problem with having a good sized table in the middle of the living area is that it’s a bit of a pain negotiating around it when you have to get up. Great for meal times but not so good for social times.

So I put my thinking head on and came up with an idea, now put into practice and I have to say we have the best of both worlds now. So I got 2 swing out table legs, originally made for a VW Camper, supplied by Clearcut Conversions. I mounted them in the corner behind the 2 front seats. Made several different table sizes to see which would be best suited to the setup. The conclusion was 400 x 600 with 40mm radius corners.

We now have the option to swing out the tables in several layouts and when they are  placed to the side they are not in the way at all but can still be used as a drinks table for when we are both sat having chill out time in the evening. Swing the table around and there is room for 4 people, plenty of table space and it leaves plenty of space to get up and go to the bathroom without negotiating a table in the central aisle. Another option is to move them so when sat in the 2 front seats you have a table placed in front of you for eating or whatever. We can still put the big table up for meals if we choose and just swing the smaller 2 tables out of the way. Both table tops can be removed by simply releasing a clamp under the table then move the legs out of the way. The whole leg can be removed by unscrewing the leg clamp and they simply lift out. Works brilliant!!

Will post some photos – picture paints a thousand words. This one is the finished job, well I have to work on the table top finish.

k9dougie
        Participant

Step 1 Base plate fitted in the corner

k9dougie
          Participant

Step 2 leg clamp fitted above base plate and leg put into place. Table base plate fitted offset to underside of table. Trial and error to get best position for pivot swing.

k9dougie
            Participant

Table in place for 2

k9dougie
              Participant

Or this way if you prefer

k9dougie
                Participant

Stowed away to the side but can still be used

k9dougie
                  Participant

Twin dining with easy access to central aisle.

k9dougie
                    Participant

Table and leg removed back to original, just the brackets visible.

k9dougie
                      Participant

Forgot to add that the offset base is 160mm from table edge to the edge of base. If you do this conversion secure with a couple of small screws to make sure it swings around without touching the wall. Mine just clears it with this measurement. That way you can reposition it until you find the right position then secure permanently.

I am not sure if will work on the SK version as I don’t know if  there is enough room in front of the bench seat.

Barry & Maggie

What an excellent modification, Dougie!  You’re lucky enough to have what I believe is the best Exsis version – the ‘Vario’ – but which is also the rarest!  These tables have transformed the Vario.

Full marks for a great idea,  and thanks for posting it here with all the photos.

Barry

k9dougie
                          Participant

You may have noticed in the photos I have fitted an additional armrest to the driver’s seat, passenger side still to do later this week. (Thanks for the idea Chris!)

Dougie

k9dougie
                            Participant

No thank you Barry for all your much valued time and input on this awesome site.

Dougie.

Fred & Gill
                              Participant

Very practical improvement Dougie and thanks for posting.

its great to see such enthusiastic new/recent owners

Fred

k9dougie
                                Participant

Forgot to post the finished article. Custom made table tops from Clearcut Conversions.

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.