Home Forums General Discussion Replacement wash-basin.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Mikesidey
      Participant

Hi all, Having spent the last couple of years  constantly repairing the original wash-basin which had cracked in several places, I finally succumbed this year and bought a replacement. The options included paying over £900 to Hymer (gulp) or looking for a bespoke manufacturer to make a replacement. I finally opted for Derek Justice (based in Derby, contact details available by request) who made an excellent quality handmade GRP replacement in about two weeks at a very reasonable cost.  I followed the excellent procedure for its replacement posted by Barry some years ago (page 85 in  The Little Exsis Book).  Whilst doing the job, I found that the original flexible waste pipe had become brittle and split in places so I replaced this at the same time with 19 mm standard spirally wound plastic piece which is commonly available from caravan shops. I’m a very happy bunny. Cheers, Mike.

Barry & Maggie

Thanks, Mike.  Good to hear from you and I hope you and France are OK?

I’m glad that you had a good service from Derek Justice.  There have been mixed responses from various correspondents – I myself had a perfectly satisfactory transaction, but others I know, whose opinions I respect, have received a bad product.  But being warned beforehand probably prevents a poor product?

I’m up in Manchester next week – could you arrange some decent weather, please?!!

Thanks again for that update, Mike.

Best wishes,

Barry

Mikesidey
          Participant

Thanks for your response Barry. France and I are well. We’ve had our trials and tribulations over the last year but we are doing fine now. In view of your previous comments, I went to visit Derek in Derby to collect the replacement wash-basin and I’m satisfied that he is able to make good quality products at acceptable prices and is motivated to keep his business running. So I think we can move on from previously reported third party experiences, especially given that you and I personally have had good service from him. As our beloved Exses get older, it is important that we all have access to increasingly rare replacement parts, especially in View of Hymer’s very high prices! By the way, Derek has already built a mould for the wash basin backing/tap/shower head assembly. Mine is cracking and I will need one soon. I will have no hesitation in going back to Derek for this. Cheers, Mike

Barry & Maggie

Thanks, Mike.  Yes, those are my thoughts exactly.  As our m/homes get older, it’s important to have access to parts other than Hymer’s.

Best wishes to you both.

Barry & Maggie

Hector
              Participant

Hello Mike,

I have just read your post about the replacement sink and would be very interested in replacing our sink too. I have already strengthened the back- splash using Barry’s tips on reinforcing it with fibreglass, but like you I am now at the point of needing to replace the whole sink/back-splash as it is all looking rather tired now. As it happens we were at The Hymer Museum in Germany just a couple of days ago, but by time we got to the spare parts depot up the road it was closed, and I certainly wouldn’t pay £900 for a new sink!

All of which is a long winded way of asking if you would be kind enough to share the contact details for Derrick Justice and maybe post a photo of the new sink and give us an idea of the price?

Many thanks, Ted and Ali

Fred & Gill
                Participant

Nice to hear from you Ali & Ted – still doing your epic journeys then.

The contact for Derek Justice can be found in the spares/manuals section provided by Barry if  that is still current Derek Justice derek_justice@talk21.com.

When I replaced mine I strengthened my backsplash by a different method to Barry. I used expanding spray foam having made up a cardboard former to contain the stuff – its nice and firm.

See the photo below and note that at the same time I reinforced the section where the tap fits in using UPVC weatherboard

Barry & Maggie

Hi Ali & Ted,

Good to hear from you and that you’re still touring.

As Fred says, I think the link for Derek Justice is still current – I’ve not heard otherwise but I’m sure Mike can confirm it.

Good luck with your repair!

Best wishes,

Barry & Maggie

Hector
                    Participant

Hello Fred and Barry, many thanks for the prompt reply with Derek’s contact details. We are due back in the UK in a few days, so I will follow-up with Derek then.

Best wishes Ted

Fred & Gill
                      Participant

Whist you have the basin/mirror off,  which is quite a straightforward job following the ‘how to and pictures ‘ posted by Barry all those years ago….why not fit a heated mirror pad behind it is brilliant on those colder mornings, I love it.

My home made effort was posted in detail on the old forum, which is now lost and I don’t think that it ever made it into the ‘Little Exsis Book’. I made my own using resistor wire after a tip off from Barry….but they were available on line at approx. £44(12v), off course my way was much cheaper. If you seriously consider taking up this tip I can look up the old photos and post them.

Fred

Fred & Gill
                        Participant

The wire that I used was Constantan wire from Maplins with resistance @ 4.2 ohms/metered .

Maplins are no longer trading, but I expect that Constantan can easily be sourced.

I have  also found all my original formulae / calculations and notes of how I did it…..

At that time the easy alternative was …. Whilst many 230v reduced to 12v through transformers could be found, I could only find one 12v DC available (lightingstyles.co.uk) and that was approx £44 +P&P, which seemed expensive compared to regular ones.

An extract from my notes at the time shows the cost

“Make it yourself, Fred”, he said. Barry went on to explain an experiment that he had done many years ago to make a heater for a motorcycle jacket – he used ‘Constantan’ wire and passed me the link to Maplins.
                          So that is what I have done and it works brilliantly, using components sourced from Maplins & Halfords (next door to each other in Bath). The wire cost £7.99 (got miles of it left over) + Maplin 10 amp Illuminated (green) 12v Rocker Switch £1.99 + Fuse Holder & Fuse and some joiners/spades etc from Halfords just over £7 = £17.25. You can get waterproof switches, but I liked the look of this one.

Fred

Barry & Maggie

That was one of those “Round Tuit” jobs that I wanted to do, Fred – when I got round to it!

I, too, have miles of that Constantan wire left over from the various heated jackets I’ve made over the years.  I’m glad your heated pad is still going after all these years – I’m still scrubbing away with the corner of the towel to keep our mirror clear, though the one at home is heated!

There are now SO many “little jobs” I have to do to the Exsis, that piled up after my enforced idleness due to the hip replacement.  Just not enough time to do everything.  How did I ever find time to go to work?

Best wishes to you and Gill.

Barry & Maggie

Mikesidey
                            Participant

Hi Ali and Ted, good to hear from you two. I remember well your excellent tales about a year in an Exsis when we met at the last Exsistavaganza!  The email address given by Fred is current and I paid £135 ex Derby. Derek would charge you delivery and in my case this would have been £10. Cheers, Mike.

Hector
                              Participant

Thanks Mike, Barry and Fred for all the info. I’ll contact Derek now and will let you know how I get on. Cheers Ted.

Hector
                                Participant

Comparing the old and new sinksNew back splashNew sinkHello campers, although we have just waved goodbye to our beloved Hector as part of the sale we agreed to purchase a new bathroom sink and back-splash from Derek Justice for the new owners to fit following the excellent instructions in the Little Exsis Book. I was really impressed with the quality of the new parts and the service we received from Derek. I know that some members have already purchased replacement sinks from Derek and that there are some photos in the little book, but I thought I would post a few photos here so that members can see how good the new sink looks compared the sun aged original.

On a separate note, Alison and I would like to thank Barry, Fred and all the other members for the excellent knowledge sharing network on these fabulous little motorhomes. Your hints and tips have been so helpful on a number of occasions, and the meet-ups we attended were great fun. Best Regards Ted and Alison.

Barry & Maggie

Very many thanks, Alison and Ted, for following through on this, even though you’ve sold Hector.

I’m glad that your dealings with Derek were good and that he can still be considered for parts supply in the future.

On a personal note, it’s been really enjoyable and great fun in your company and I’m sure I speak for everyone here when I wish you well in the future.  We’ll certainly miss the lederhosen…!

Barry & Maggie

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.