Home Forums General Discussion Overheating etc in Hab area

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Jean Johnson
      Participant

Hello all,

We’re so pleased that this site exists (exsis!) and gratefully look forward to your input and help re above. Some of you may know that we bought Barry and Maggie’s Hector a while ago. Pretty new to it all, and trying to learn from various problems experienced!

On our second trip, this week, we went for a bike ride, and on our return, the carbon monoxide alarm was screaming at us. On entering the van, there was a very strong sulphurous smell, and the wooden base of the settee was very warm. Under this base is housed two habitation batteries, a B 2 B, and the Electroblock.

One of the batteries was very hot, and the Electroblock very warm too, but not as hot as the one battery. The ‘window’ of the hot battery showed black, the other was green. All gave us quite a shock!!

We switched off the solar panel, and removed the hook up cable. The site warden suggested we disconnect the battery terminals and remove the 50 amp fuse, which we did.

The batteries are not old, purchased mid 2017.

We’ll have to try to find somewhere to take it to get things thoroughly checked, but hope it’s not going to be an expensive job, as we’ve already spent a lot on him so far ….

Any help, advice etc gratefully received. We live in Brighton, so if anyone can suggest where to take him, again we’d be so grateful.

Many thanks,

Jean and Erwin
        <div id=”dsnnahhaiuqayoutubeVideoHoverContainer” class=”youtubeVideoHoverScaleup” style=”z-index: 1104; display: none;”></div>
        <div></div>

Barry & Maggie

I’ve privately corresponded with you folks, but for the benefit of others, can I highly recommend that you contact Martin at http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/ .  He is a really nice  genuine guy, happy to offer advice.  I don’t think you could do better than obtain his advice and maybe even make a trek up to North Wales, to book the Exsis in for him to diagnose and sort the problem.

I suspect a defective battery…  Unusual but not unheard of.  The green window shows fluid level and state of charge, I believe.  The black window says it all…

Good luck with this.

Barry

Jean Johnson
          Participant

Thanks Barry.  We have been in touch with Martin, but he isn’t receiving visits during this time. He is very helpful, and knowledgable, and seems to feel that different batteries are required, and doesn’t recommend the B2B …. We will replace both batteries with the ones he suggests

We are looking for a local place ( with some trepidation!) to carry out the tests that Martin says need to be done, which should indicate the problem, and whether a new Electroblock is required. The ‘cooked’ battery may have had an adverse effect on this, and it may be damaged. All sounding a spot expensive so far!

We do need some luck now …  fingers and earlobes crossed!!

Jean and Erwin
            <div id=”dsnnahhaiuqayoutubeVideoHoverContainer” class=”youtubeVideoHoverScaleup” style=”z-index: 1104; display: none;”></div>
            <div></div>

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.