Home Forums General Discussion "Old site" posts…

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Barry & Maggie

As I’ve stated elsewhere, creating this site started to become quite expensive and it has had to be trimmed back.  As I’ve chosen not to pass costs on to you, this took on a greater importance in the design.

One of the big savings was not having a PM facility, which would have involved security of email addresses  (they are EXTREMELY secure at the moment) as well as the mechanism to send messages.  This was a bit costly.   Also a big saving was not having the separate “Photo Album” plug-in, using the Forum instead.  The money was spent instead on security (you’ll note this is a https site – doesnt mean a lot to me but I think it’s VERY secure!), on essential features and on keeping the bare bones of a working site, rather than just “what I’d like”.

Finally, as has been pointed out, we don’t now have access to the old site Forums, most of the useful stuff of which Tom has incorporated into The Little Exsis Book.  However… there is a Black Hole into which has disappeared some of the General Discussion posts which were very useful, as well as some of the Travel & Food posts.  The problem with Webs.com (the old site provider) is that it is impossible to bulk transfer the forums across from their site – it can only be done by copying and pasting, which is what Tom has been doing for YEARS for his book updates!

I still have access to these old site posts (for a limited time) and I will be trawling through them for snippets of interest on an almost daily basis.  I will re-post them here and label “from the old site” – I’ve already started, as you can see.  Similarly, if any of you would like a check made on anything you remember or concerns you, or, indeed, if  I spot a current thread that’s of great interest, I will do a search of the old site and re-post anything, as above.

There will be glitches as we get going, I’m sure, but hopefully I’ll spot them.  If anything concerns you, please get in touch and let me know – hymerexsis@gmail.com.  But I can’t advise on mother-in-law problems, why your gas bill this quarter is so high, nor why your roses are not blooming quite as well this year…!

Best wishes, folks.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.