Home Forums General Discussion New Owner

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      jacaldo
      Participant

Hi

As the new owner of an Exsis sk, I have spent the last month learning and working my way through all the features in this new to me van.  So far so good and with the help of the information on this forum, I know a lot more now than I did then.

I have a few questions though that I can’t find any information on.

Can the winter covers on the outside heater, fridge and boiler vents stay on when in use?

When the 12v fridge is switched on should the switch light up?

On the dashboard centre, there is a clip holder that looks like it sits on a lid that can open for storage, I can’t find any way of opening the cover, maybe it doesn’t?

Just in front of this lid there is a small plastic toggle switch that lights up, I don’t know what this is for?

Can you leave the fridge on gas operation when driving or should the gas be off at the bottles?

I’m sure I will have other questions soon but thanks in advance,

Alan

Barry & Maggie

Hi Alan and welcome.  Congratulations on your  new ownership –  good questions.  Here are some answers, in the order you asked them…

1. The water heater will  not light with the cover on (the cover stifles the fresh air it needs).  I’m not sure about the ‘fridge winter cover… I don’t fit them because I camp in winter.  Perhaps someone who has the ‘fridge winter covers can confirm, please?  You may have a rare air heater cover (Richard, I think, has one) – again, I don’t know, though my guess would be that it stifles the burner so wouldn’t permit operation.  You could always just try them, to see if they work?
          2. The ’12v switch’ only operates the ‘fridge when the engine is running, when it should light up.  If the engine is not running, it should NOT light up even though it is switched on.
          3. My Exsis is not fitted with the same dash as yours (mine had the Fiat gps fitted instead) so again I can’t help you, Alan.  I’m sure someone will be along who can assist with this.  Guys, please?
          4. Driving with gas switched on…   This has  been the subject of much discussion on the various motorhome forums.  Strictly speaking, NO, you shouldn’t drive with the gas bottles switched on (which you would need if you’re running the ‘fridge) but I know of motorhomers and caravanners who do drive with gas on and ‘fridges working.  The problems start should you have an accident and the gas pipe becomes severed – gas would be free to escape.  With the bottle switched off, that can’t happen and it’s much less likely that a bottle would rupture (though that has happened, I’m sure!).  Its up to you if you are willing to take a (extremely remote) chance.  One other consideration often forgotten, is pulling onto a garage forecourt with the ‘fridge pilot burning – I know for  certain that explosions have occurred this way.

Good luck, Alan, and safe, happy Exsis-ing!

Barry

jacaldo
          Participant

Thanks Barry for your speedy reply.

Things will become clear with use, I’m sure.

Away soon for a practice trip before Turkey in May.

Alan

Barry & Maggie

Nice!  It’s good to have some “shakedown trips” before you set off on a trip like this.

I try to resist telling people what they should be doing(!!) but all of us probably have favourite  little hints or tips for “newbies” like yourself.  Something that we have found very worthwhile is having deadlocks on all three doors. Then keeping the front doors ALWAYS deadlocked and only using the habitation door, which can be easily deadlocked from the outside and the inside.  A bonus is that the passenger footwell can then be used for a bit of  extra storage and the drivers door only unlocked/relocked when refuelling.  Just an idea.

Have a great trip.  I’m envious!

Barry

jacaldo
              Participant

I’m always up for hints and tips, although we’ve been to Greece three times in a smaller van, this next year will be in comfort with our own proper toilet.

The deadlocks you used, are they on this forum?

Alan

Barry & Maggie

I’m sorry,  Alan.  I had wrongly assumed they you were a “newbie” – you’re clearly not!! My apologies.

Yes, if you download Tom’s “Little Exsis Book” and then search, you’ll find both types of deadlocks (front doors and habitation door) described.

Good luck.

Barry

jacaldo
                  Participant

Many thanks Barry

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.