Home Forums General Discussion New owner – question on draining fresh water

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      k9dougie
      Participant

Hi all,

This is an awesome site!

One very quick question hope someone can give me some guidance – On draining down for the winter I opened up the 3 valves in the garage next to the water heater. That is the hot drain which empties the boiler, the cold adjacent to it (which emptied the fresh water tank) and then the larger lever which is the waste tank drain.

Is this correct?

If so then why is there another valve on top of the water tank which also drains the water tank?

I’ve looked in the Little Exsis Book but can only find reference to repairing this valve when it seizes up.

Is it ok to just open the cold drain next to the hot drain in the garage – is this sufficient for draining down?

Mine is a 2005 SK Vario seat version

Many thanks in anticipation

Dougie (will introduce myself later when time permits)

Barry & Maggie

Hi Dougie and welcome.

I’m perhaps not the best to answer this as I don’t drain down (we regularly camp throughout winter and I keep the Exsis slightly warm and dehumidified throughout).

I believe (without looking to check) that one valve drains the hot water tank (as you’ve already identified) and maybe the other one controls the flow of fresh water TO the tank?  I hope other members can clarify this point?

The valve on top of the fresh water tank, again as you’ve identified, drains down the tank.

I’m sure someone will be along shortly to answer this properly!

Best wishes,

Barry

Fred & Gill
          Participant

Hello Dougie and welcome, look forward to hearing more from you and where you got that rare ‘Vario’ version from. You are nearly on the right track with your actions.

The standard set up in the boot next to the boiler is a flip up lever which drains down the boiler (hot water) which without looking I think is yellow on mine.

Next to that is a black screw top air valve which allows water to drain out of the fresh water pipes – don’t lift it all the way out or water could flow into the boot.

Further back into the boot an arms reach is the larger lever that operates the waste valve (Aus means out) and this is mounted immediately in front of the inboard waste tank.

The valve on top of the fresh water tank in the bottom of the wardrobe only drains the water in that tank. The pump in the bottom is fitted with a non return valve. I have fitted a set up that drains to the side of the van – I think all documented in the little Exsis Book …..an essential long read  for which we are so grateful to Tom for, especially with the demise of the old and original website – such foresight.

Standard procedure for winter draining is to set taps halfway between hot & cold and open taps before opening the valves aforementioned… make sure 12 volt switch just inside door is off or the pump will run and remember that if you go in or out of the van and use lights.

I always pull out and extend the shower head tap from the wash basin so that it is not curled up in its cavity and then after draining I always unscrew the shower head and blow into the hose to force out water droplets.

Luckily with all the inboard equipment the Exsis is quite winter resistant and I only drain down if it is really cold and I am definitely not using the van, otherwise if I anticipate a frost I put a small heater in the van on a very low setting and open up the cupboard a little to allow air to circulate. We often use the van in winter, even in freezing conditions at this time of year.

Regards,

Fred

Barry & Maggie

Thanks for that excellent, comprehensive “How To Drain Down”, Fred.  Helpful as always.  This will have to make it into Tom’s next edition of The Little Exsis Book – an essential aid!

Barry

k9dougie
              Participant

Thank you Barry and Fred for your helpful replies.

Fred I thought this would be the correct way of doing things but the reason I asked the question is because I am sure that when I opened up the drain in the garage boot not only did it drain the pipes but it also drained the tank. Now I am not entirely sure of this so at some stage when I get time I will fill the tank again and see if it drains with the tap opened in the garage.

I will let you know what happens.

Once again many thanks for your help.

Dougie

Barry & Maggie

That would be very helpful, Dougie.  Many members have problems with the fresh tank valve jamming, so an alternative means to completely drain down would be good.

Barry

k9dougie
                  Participant

OK so I have sussed it – Fred you are bang on the money!

It wasn’t till I looked inside the tank I realised there is no way it could drain with the tap open in the garage boot. The only discharge from the tank is either the water pump or the drain at the bottom.

Der – I’m a numpty!!

Now my tank drain may possibly be seized up, I don’t want to force it so have decided to leave it shut. If I need to drain the tank for winterisation then I used a length of hose and siphoned it out – very quick and easy and saves the grief of repairing the possibly seized valve. It works and you can even buy a siphon pump on amazon or screwfix for about a fiver – sorted. Can you see any downsides to this method that I’m not seeing?

Just a thought but in the very unlikely event that any water remaining in the water tank did freeze up then I’m assuming it shouldn’t be too much of a problem as the tank is made of plastic and would allow a bit of expansion. Best not to take the risk however.

Thank you for your help Fred and Barry it is much appreciated.

Dougie

Barry & Maggie

I’m glad you’ve sorted it, Dougie.

Regarding a split in the tank, whilst the actual physical repair might be straightforward, getting the tank OUT could be a horror of a job I guess.  Knowing how motorhomes in general, and Hymer in particular, are built, it wouldn’t surprise me if the water tank was the first thing fitted and the motorhome built round it!!  I jest, but it could be a very difficult job removing the tank, perhaps even taking out walls, etc.!  Freezing would probably occur in the pipes first.

So… if you get the slightest inkling that you need to leave the Exsis in a frost-prone situation, then think again!  The consequences of a frozen system could result in damage and maintenance problems beyond your wildest dreams!

Thanks again, Dougie.

Barry

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.