Home Forums General Discussion Leisure battery running out

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      katymcgbysea
      Participant

morning all

Our leisure battery ran out last night. We pitched up on Friday – 9.30pmish, no electric hook up. The fridge was on gas and we were out most of sat & sun. Think we left a light on one evening – so from 6ish until 11pm. The only other thing I can think of was that we left the mobile phone chargers plugged in (I think I usually unplug them).

Anyway, about 9.30pm last night, the heater cut out, with a flashing red light indicating that the electric was running down. 10 mins later, it all went off.

has this happened to anyone else, and would the phone chargers be enough to run it down?

We ovten camp 4 .org 5 days with no problem at all. The green light on the battery indicator is back on again.

Leiaure battery was replaced in 2013 & we expect about 7 years from it.

thougjts welcome and anything to check for?

katy & Alistair x

Barry & Maggie

I assume you only have the one battery, Katy?

Irrespective, a healthy battery should more than cope with ‘phone chargers (a miniscule voltage) and a light + heater for one evening.

As I see it, the possible problems – either the charging system (vehicle alternator to battery via Schaudt Electroblok) is defective; you haven’t given the engine long enough running to charge up a depleted battery; a defective 240v-Electroblok supply to the battery if on site; or a battery that is on the way out, not holding a charge.

I’d check the battery first, the most likely culprit, if your use of it hasn’t stretched over several days?

Stop by a battery supplier or even your usual garage – they can run a test for you, of both the battery and the charging circuit.

I believe you ‘wild camp’ a lot, Katy?  In which case I would seriously consider adding a second battery to your habitation set-up.  If your battery is defective, then now is a good time to fit a pair, as they should be matching, in both amperage AND condition.  With winter approaching, the security of having more than sufficient battery power is great.

My set-up consists of two 110ah batteries, with a Sterling B-to-B charger between the alternator and batteries.  This means that the very minimum of engine running pumps the maximum power into the batteries, keeping them topped up on even very short runs.  We normally have several lights on (for the pleasant ambience) a TV/DVD playing, plus heater, ‘phone chargers, etc., all running together with no problem at all. And for more than just one night.

Good luck and let us know how you get on?

Barry

katymcgbysea
          Participant

Thanks Barry. Good advice. We were wild camping from Friday to last night.

Al ran the engine for 10 mins this am and we checked the light on the control panel – back to green. And the hearing came on, which it wouldn’t last night. Seems odd.

The battery was the top one we could get.

Will keep you posted.

Barry & Maggie

“We were wild camping from Friday to last night.”

That was what the problem might have been, Katy – three nights relying on a single battery may have been a bit much?

Barry

katymcgbysea
              Participant

Yep, although we’ve done 5 days no problem. Only thing I can think is that the battery is losing its life (I think it’s meant to have a couple more left according to the manufacturer) or leaving a light and charger on has made a big difference. Still, we’re on a hook up at the moment 🙂

nozzi
                Participant

Hi Katy ( and everyone else)

I have experienced this in the past. Any weakness in a battery or charging system which seems ok in the summer soon shows itself when the autumn arrives. nothing kills a battery more than cold, combined with a little bit more work to do.  mine was diagnosed by Atlantic Motorhomes.

Nozzi

Barry & Maggie

Thanks, Nozzi.

A really great company, Atlantic Motorhomes – VERY helpful and they have made a good name for themselves.  I believe Mike & France had a good result with them and other members have, too.

Sadly the owner has cancer, but the firm has been taken over by someone equally enthusiastic.  We have links to 240v electrical information on the “Manuals, Spares & Links” page, but they don’t all work at the moment – this is in the process of being sorted as we tidy the site up.

Atlantic Motorhomes… http://tinyurl.com/ycqmf9vo

nozzi
                    Participant

Hi Barry

I knew the original firm had stopped trading ,but didn’t know the reason.  It’s good to know someone has taken it over. He  tested the whole system, found a fault which he sorted and sent me next door to replace the battery as he didn’t sell them. They changed the battery at no cost ,as it was still within warranty.         A very happy result all round!

I found them via your website. so thanks!

Barry & Maggie

Thanks, Nozzi.  It’s good to get feedback that can then be passed on, for the benefit of everyone.

Barry

katymcgbysea
                        Participant

Have you all replaces the exide battery or used other brands?

Barry & Maggie

I have a pair of 110ah Vartas (I think they’re Varta) – about two years old now.

Before you make a decision, though, have a look here…

https://tinyurl.com/y9akhups

Barry

nozzi
                            Participant

We have 2 Varta LDF 90’s. one habitation and one for the engine, both 2 1/2 years old.they have a 5yr warranty. I bought them on advice from (think he is called Alan) at Atlantic MH.

I prefer to be off grid , so I fitted an 80W solar panel in 2012, and that seems to be sufficient in the summer; but we are not big energy users, no TV .microwaves etc. and try to charge phones and laptops when the sun is up. or when we’re on the move.

I always hookup for a day before we go and as soon as we get back to keep the battery in good health.

These are the 3rd  pair of batteries the van has had from new , so they do seem to last about 5 yrs on average.

The longest stay without driving or hookup is 2 weeks at the TT and it  managed fine. but that’s max daylight hours and minimum drain and maybe 3l of LPG.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by nozzi.
                          Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.