Home Forums General Discussion Faulty temperature gauge?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Nexus963
      Participant

Anyone had any experience with a fluctuating temperature gauge? Cruising along fine when the gauge went straight to the hot zone, l turned the heater to max and it dropped back to normal, but a few miles later returned to the hot (top) zone and began to fluctuate. The needle rising and falling quickly. I pulled in and checked everything, coolant felt OK, no other warning signs. I called the AA. He arrived an hour later, coolant was ok, 49 degrees on live reading, two sensors on housing, one goes to gauge and one to ECU, apparently there is an overheating light which did not come on when gauge was at top. He was confident it was a faulty gauge. I drove the 180 miles home without a problem, but the gauge was fluctuating between the top and midway. Apologies this is along one! Any suggestions? Mine is a 2.8JTD. Thanks

Barry & Maggie

Sounds like maybe a faulty sender unit (gauge sensor)?

If no actual overheating, it won’t be the thermostat in the water system that’s defective.  The gauge itself just reproduces the signal sent to it, so if it’s the gauge that’s at fault, I think you’d see constant over temp or no temp at all.

Nope.  My money’s on the temperature sender that goes to the gauge.  Cheap enough, I would have thought?

Good luck. Let us know what you discover?

Barry

Nexus963
          Participant

Many thanks Barry will do.

alan
            Participant

I’ve had the same problem, a few years ago on my previous Murvi Morello and now on the Exsis, both 2.8 JTD. The problem is intermittent and I assume it is a faulty sender unit but as it happens so infrequently, I don’t regard it as a serious problem. I’ll be interested to hear what the answer is?

Nexus963
              Participant

Thanks Alan, l agree, l started the engine this morin I gang the gauge went straight to hot! It’s booked in to the garage next week, I will let you know what they say and do.

Barry & Maggie

I’ve just had a quick look on E-Bay and found this…

http://tinyurl.com/y9x9c6e9

As I supected, it’s not a fortune and dead easy to fit.  If you’re not booked into the garage for anything else, you might be able to save a lot(?) of money by fitting it yourself, if you’re able?

Let us know how this pans out – others have had this problem too, like Alan (and I think I had this problem on my old Anglia, if I remember correctly!).

Barry

gezza
                  Participant

I had a strange problem with the temp gauge years ago. For a while, every time I put the ignition on the gauge went immediately to the middle position (which coincided exactly with the normal running position) and stayed there till I switched off.  Since the engine couldn’t be hot when it was cold (if you see what I mean) I ignored it for a few weeks. One day when it realised I wasn’t going to do anything it reverted to normal function and has been absolutely fine ever since.

Barry & Maggie

That sounds very much like either a stuck gauge or a stuck temperature sensor, with my bet again on the sensor sender unit, Gezza.  What made it “unstick” I suppose we’ll never know.  The problem with a “stuck” gauge/sensor isn’t so much that it’s broken until you get round to repairing it, but that you then won’t be warned of any overheating before it’s been repaired!

Fred & Gill
                      Participant

Thanks for that ‘Gezza’

About 1 month ago my temperature gauge also went straight to normal and stayed there when the ignition is switched on – and still does.

I have not bothered to investigate at all, hoping that it will revert to normal – you give me hope!

Nexus963
                        Participant

Hi All, l took mine to my trusted garage who diagnosed a faulty temperature sender; no surprises there! They replaced it and the gauge appeared ok on the drive home. Taking the van away this weekend so will report back later. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Barry & Maggie

This seems to be a more common problem than at first thought?

I dont know how these sensors work (the old thermostats used to use wax?) but I suspect maybe a bi-metal strip?  Perhaps a couple of taps with the handle of a screwdriver on the body of the sensor might free-up whatever’s stuck and produce a good result? Judiciously done, it shouldn’t do any harm and it’s worth a try.  When the engine’s cold, turn on the ignition, tap the sensor body then see if the gauge drops.

Barry

Barry & Maggie

Good result, Nexus!

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.