Home Forums Modifications & Enhancements Dining table for bed?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Rufnus
      Participant

Good afternoon. I think the mounting system of the lower bed is somewhat complex, I’m thinking of replacing the central part, by using the dining table, using a smaller tube, since the location and measurements of the table are exact to replace by said system. Has someone done it? Thank you very much, and sorry for the incorrect translation

Barry & Maggie

Welcome, Rufnus – no apology needed for your perfect translation!

I think you may be referring to the ‘SG’, dinette version of Exsis?  I’m not familiar with how this works, as I have a ‘SK’, but someone will be along soon who is qualified to comment.  I seem to remember someone publishing a mod for this a few years ago, so fingers crossed for you.

If it is the ‘SK’ version, with the two bench seats, I can see no reason why a very short tube supporting the table would not work.  Just be careful that the ends of the table have some extra support – the table socket would be unlikely to bear the stress of someone sitting on the end of the table.

Please let us know how you get on with this mod – very interesting.

Barry

Barry & Maggie

Something else that has occurred to me… The ends of the table support tubes are chamfered so they go into the sockets.  I’m not sure how you’d get on with just a straight cut tube.  Maybe try it, but be prepared for a LOT of work with some emery paper/sander/grinder or let an engineering shop do it for you.

Good luck.

Barry

paoloc
            Participant

Hi everybody, I am a newcomer to this blog, thus I want to introduce myself first.

I am Italian and I bought a 2005 Hymer Exsis SK in 2017. I love it but something could be improved. For example, transforming the dinette into the bed (and bringing it back to the dinette configuration) is cumbersome and I would like to make it simple and quicker.

I was thinking to install a stuff like this:

https://www.accessoricaravan.it/slitte-traslatori-supporti-accessori-e-ricambi/6907-meccanismo-fissaggio-a-parete-mod-up-down.html

but I am not sure it would do.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Paolo

Barry & Maggie

Hi Paolo and welcome!

If you have a side dinette in your Exsis, you have the ‘SG’ version.  The ‘SK’ is the version with seating either side of a central aisle.

I would have thought that this would be a straightforward improvement, but as I don’t have the dinette model Exsis, I can’t advise.  Maybe one of our dinette-owning members could comment?

The crucial points I think that I would be closely examining would be…

1)  The dimensions of the “up/down” mechanism.

2)  The size of the table and its relationship to the seating.

3)  The weight of the unit and the fixing to the wall.

All things are possible, Paolo, depending upon your competence as a DIYer or the depth of your wallet if you pay someone else to do the job!

Let us know if you carry out this mod as well as telling us how you went about it.  It will be very interesting for others.

Good luck.

Barry

Pablicito64
                Participant

Hi Paolo, I’m Paolo too 🙂 living in Italy. And I also bought an Exsis SG in 2017! Where do you live? I’m near Milan. May be we can exchange some opinions about our new (to us) vans…

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.