Home Forums Modifications & Enhancements Collapsing downstairs bed (from old site)

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Barry & Maggie

Barry & Maggie
        Administrator
        Ive received the following plea from Tom & Phyllida, who are waiting to join “Exsis Owners” – can anyone help?

“Sorry to bother you again but I cannot find any reference to the following problem on the forum and wondered if you might have come across it before. I still cannot get onto the forum, but live in hope …

Our Exsis has the two separate rear seats which twist and turn to form the lower bed arrangement including using two separate bed cushion inserts between the lugs on the side of the seats. Last night (this is only the third time we have used our wonderful Exsis ) I discovered that if pressure is exerted on the rear edge of the rear cushion I when I am turning over) , it falls towards the floor ie it rocks on the middle seat pivot . On investigation I see that there are only two pivots for the rear insert and they are both towards the rear of the insert cushion.

This becomes very problematic during the night as our dogs sleep under the bed and I am worried about the whole thing collapsing on them with me on the top !!

Have others come across the problem and if so, is there a cure ?”

He then sent me the following, but clearly would appreciate some suggestions how a permanent solution can be achieved…

“I have just sorted out the problem with the bed !!

I have now made a prop for the centre front of the rear section of the bed base comprising a bucket of dog food , two yellow wheel ramps , a copy of Quaker Faith and Practice and two guides to Portugal – one thin and one thick. The centre section does not now collapse ( night’s sleep awaited to confirm!)

I am sure this is not an authorised solution, but might be of help to others who find themselves in the same dilemma as us !!!

Hoping to sleep well tonight”

Does anyone have a proper solution they can offer?

Barry & Maggie

September 5, 2018 at 7:57 PM
        Edit Delete Flag Quote & Reply

Fred & Gill
        Sounds like the very rare Vario version, or  single seat/ bed conversion similar to  the blue Exsis that Leo turned up at the Exsistravaganza with ( wonder where that is now?).

If so then not too many examples here in the UK.

Perhaps one of our foreign members can help ?

Hope the temporary fix gives you a safe nights sleep until you can get home and tinker

Fred

Ruby

September 6, 2018 at 7:43 AM

Barry & Maggie
        Administrator
        Yes, I think you might be right, Fred. I know it isn’t like our “twin bench” SK, but I’m not familiar with the bed-making routines of other Exsis models. This is the fun of motorhoming… Sorting out all the little problems that occur. It’s always a challenge, with a great deal of satisfaction when one overcomes such a problem. I am currently wrestling with a step that refuses to budge, despite my previously very successful strategy of jet-washing it until it succumbs…! I sincerely hope I don’t have to strip it down. But if I do, I have the superb advice already posted by you great people.

Barry & Maggie

• September 6, 2018 at 8:23 AM

France and Mike
          Several years ago, I had a collapsing bed problem with the “SK” type bed on the off side of our RHD vehicle (we have a vario seat on the near side). Solved it by using a simple length of 2″x2″ seated in the table foot fitting to support the structure. No problems since. Don’t know if this might applly to your situation Tom and Phyllida? Cheers, Mike.

September 9, 2018 at 2:51 PM

Tom and Phyllida
        Participant

Dear all,

many thanks for the guidance . I sorted the problem of the collapsing bed by attaching a length of 8ml ply ( about 18″ by 4″) to the underside of the front cushion using 3/4′ screws and serious wood glue . This gives support to the rear cushion and a good night’s sleep

Tom and Phyllida

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.