Home Forums General Discussion Bonnet release cable

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Mikelaine
      Participant

Hi All. We hope you are all staying safe. The bonnet release cable on our Hymer isn’t working and needs to be replaced. Our local garage hasn’t been able to source a new one and we haven’t been able to find one on eBay. Do any members know of anyone who could supply this item. Many thanks in advance.

regards Mike and Elaine

Barry & Maggie

Hi Mike & Elaine.

The cable is a standard Fiat Ducato part, but I’ve just had a quick look and… nothing available…!

https://www.eurocarparts.com/bonnet-cable

Try here for info…

https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/

If you really cannot find this cable anywhere,  you could try a motorcycle dealer who may have ordinary Bowden cable (inner and outer, which is all a bonnet release cable is).  He may also have solderless nipples.  This is a solution but is not ideal, because I doubt that you will be able to fit the original pull handle.   Still, it will sort the immediate problem of unlocking the bonnet.

Good luck.

Barry

normanabbott
            Participant

Hi , if you still have a problem with the bonnet cable I could send you details on how I installed a new system that cost about £10.   Norm

Mike Burrows
              Participant

Hi Norm. Thank you so much for your message. Our garage was able to solve the problem for us. Regards Mike and Elaine.

Tresjolie
              Participant

Hi Mike & Elaine.

Look at discussion 128 in The Little Exsis Book. Fred had a substitute cable but I can’t access the old site via the link.

Maybe Barry can help you with that

Good Luck

Tom

Tresjolie
                Participant

Hi Mike & Elaine.

Another thought try these https://www.vanspares.co.uk/ they are a breakers yard who supplied me with my latest wiper mechanism

Tom

Barry & Maggie

I’m sorry, Tom,  the old site has well-and-truly gone.  I hung on, copying and pasting what I could until my access ran out. It really has gone now.

Barry

Mikelaine
                    Participant

Hi All. Thank you for your suggestions. I thought an update was in order for future reference to help others if they come across the same problem. Today I spent several hours speaking to places that advertise on eBay all with the same result – they only have parts for Fiat Ducato/Hymer from 2006 onwards.  The very helpful staff at the large Hymer dealership in Stafford spent a long time searching the Hymer and Fiat databases to find a suitable part without any success other than to say the item is no longer manufactured. However they could be a useful source of information in the future. Taking up Barry’s idea of a motorcycle cable I discussed this with my local garage and next week he will be removing the old cable and trying a bicycle break cable which he feels will do the job. We shall see. I will keep you informed. Thanks again for the advise Barry.

Mike and Elaine

Fred & Gill
                      Participant

Sorry to be late to this thread – we have been on DIY duties at daughters in Sussex,  – besides the Covid the house is not habitable, so the Exsis on a nearby CL has been brilliant.

Back to the cable….

Katy and Alistair had the same problem several years ago. Alistair who has several vintage motorbikes fixed the problem, so that cable may have been the solution.

As they have not seen this thread try using the PM system and they will get the message

Fred

nozzi
                        Participant

Hi all

I changed my bonnet release cable early this year when it jammed and I spent about an hour getting the bonnet open. Fortunately I was at home and just doing some maintenance.

After searching in vain for a ‘proper ‘ one, I used a fire extinguisher activation cable used in racing cars . There is a firm near me that does that sort of thing. I think it cost about £10

The cable is 5m long with a crimped end at the cab lever and an adjustable nipple at the bonnet end.

I don’t think it was a difficult job. Think I had to remove a section of dash panel to access the release handle.

It had gradually become stiff to operate  and when I took the old cable  out it was badly corroded half way along and was jamming. So if yours is going the same way, it might be worth changing before it locks you out !

Nozzi

Mikelaine
                          Participant

Thank you for your further suggestions. Heidi Hymer came home yesterday. Our local garage was unable to source a suitable replacement for the cable which he described as being extremely long. He solved the problem by cleaning it and allowing it to soak in oil over night before fitting back in place – it now works like new. It is so reassuring to know there are so many knowledgeable and helpful Exsis owners out there so thank you again.

Mike and Elaine

Viewing 8 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.