Home Forums General Discussion Bed Gas Strut Supports…

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Barry & Maggie

I’ve finally bestirred myself to replace the bed gas struts on our Exsis “Hector”. Originally they were ‘Stabilus’ make, model number 084409 0200N 0333/06 BH05.

I’ve taken Tom’s correspondent’s advice regarding upping the standard pressure of 200 Newtons to 280 Newtons. The standard pressure is fine for the original lightweight mattress with no bedding on. I’ve replaced my mattress with a much heavier latex one, and I put the bed away with a few bedclothes on, plus the ladder, so a bit more weight that I need assistance with. I’m guessing most of us will have the same sort of difficulties.

Former bed strut supplier Peter Hambilton Ltd is no longer trading (from 2018) and Billingtons Group no longer supply these struts. However, I have found a manufacturer/supplier of gas struts – https://www.metrol.com/ in Northampton – and I have specc’d a pair of replacement struts with them. They have noted “Exsis Owners”, so in future, all you need do is refer to this and receive the correct struts.

All this may not have been possible without the great help from Fred & Gill, from Tom, and from others who have all answered the call for information on these struts.

These are a stock item, but here are the specs of these struts…
        Product code – NS-FF-8-160-E2-E2-280newtons

Length from fixing centre to fixing centre – 405mm

Pressure – 280 Newtons (or 200 if you want the standard)

Quantity required – 2pcs

Price = £15.55each +VAT

Delivery = £6.95

This is really good news, because previously they were about £30 each! The guy I have dealt with (Will Takkou) has been extremely efficient and enthusiastic. The telephone number is 01604 499332 and their address Metrol Ltd., 5 Clayfield Close, Moulton Park Industrial Estate, Northampton, NN3 6QF.

Don’t forget to mention “Exsis Owners” to obtain the exact struts.

The gas struts.

The struts.

The bottom fixing & clip

The top lock nut (nearly undone)

The bottom fixing, with clip fitted.

They are simple to fit. I found it easier to loosen the fixings with the bed down, then push the bed up to remove the now-extended strut. One end of the strut is held with a 12mm lock nut, but the other has a tricky little pull-off, push-on clip that needs long-nose pliers to remove. The struts are then pushed onto the studs. Simples!

I can now push up the bed with ONE HAND! Hear that, Tom? 🙂

Barry

Bill and Pam
        Participant

Thanks for the comprehensive info. Barry. I did contact Peter Hambleton of Whitestake, only a few years ago, regarding the gas strut supports,  just before he retired, and he mentioned that they do not give much bother generally. So I did not get round to replacing them. I took your advice and spoke to Will Takkou at Metrol and received the new struts (280 Newtons)  by return carrier. It just took me 30 minutes to replace them. Yes, I have just pushed the bed up with one hand!  What an amazing improvement! So thanks to you Barry and all the Exsis owners who assisted. I have had the Exsis SG since 2005 and have overcome most of all the niggles but this ranks as one of the best.

Cheers Bill

Barry & Maggie

Goodness!  You were quick off the blocks!!  But I’m glad you’ve had the same experience as me, Bill.

Barry

Fred & Gill
            Participant

Well done for finding those Barry and thanks Bill for confirming their value.

We old inside need all the help we can get

Just ordered mine – such a simple process. Look forward to fitting mine when I get back home – we are on our daughters drive in Sussex in The Exsis and lifting the bed yesterday convinced me to make my life easier

Look forward to reporting another success for Barry’s tip off next week

Fred

Fred & Gill
              Participant

Predictive text and us oldies don’t work on a mobile phone

my previous post should have read

We old uns need all the help we can get !

Fred

Barry & Maggie

We knew what you meant, Fred.

Deprictive tests…  !

Good luck with the struts.  You won’t believe the difference.  C’mon Tom… you know you want to!

Barry

k9dougie
                  Participant

Thanks Barry and Co – mines in the post!

Dougie

Fred & Gill
                    Participant

That’s Bedder!

Luckily the 13mm size was on the other end of the spanner (mines not 12mm).

No problem with that funny spring washer , just eased the the sprung clip away with small screwdriver and pushed down on the clip with my fingers, when refitting again prised the clip clear and lifted up.

The resistance of the gas struts means that the bed no longer wants to fall on my head….in fact it doesn’t even lay flat anymore unless you climb onto it….might be different with winter bedding?

Lifting the bed up is a lovely experience now with no more bracing yourself for the big lift.

Great tip off Barry to use those heavier duty struts.

Fred

Barry & Maggie

Glad you’ve found them better, Fred.  The tip about the greater 280 Newtons pressure came from one of Tom’s correspondents – I can’t claim it as my own.  But once I thought about it, it seemed obvious.  Bedding, in addition to a heavier mattress meant that we obviously needed more spring assustance.

Well done, Fred – a good job jobbed!

Barry

Tresjolie
                        Participant

Thanks Barry

Here’s a little tip to make lifting the bed easier.
                          Move the duvet onto the front mattress
                          Underneath the bed, lower the bedding flap
                          Separate the 2 mattresses by pushing up the front edge of the rear mattress
                          Close the flap
                          Lift the bed

Tom

Tresjolie
                          Participant

Thanks Barry

The struts arrived today so did the job. Now when I separate the mattresses the  bed starts to lift on its own.

Tom

Barry & Maggie

Wow! An unintended consequence, Tom, but certainly makes putting the bed away a darned sight easier. We have a heavy, latex mattress plus bedding, plus pillows, plus ladder and it still goes away with just one hand push.

Why oh why didnt I do this job years ago?!!

Barry

Tresjolie
                              Participant

Hi Barry

The captive nuts on the original struts were tight so I tightened the new ones as well. Thinking about it this must defeat the objective as the struts have to work against the friction imposed by the tight nuts.
                                What do you think.

Tom

Barry & Maggie

Mine are Nyloc nuts so lock themselves onto the stud. They only need to be lightly touching the head of the strut, if that even.

You’re right, Tom. If done up tight, it gives the strut more work to do overcoming that unnecessary friction.

Leave them slightly loose if they are Nyloc nuts is my recommendation.

Best wishes.

Barry

Tresjolie
                                  Participant

I’ve just loosened them. I reckon if I had loosened the original 200n they would have operated easier

Tom

Barry & Maggie

We live and learn!

Just as I get to know it all, that’ll be the finish of me! 😀

Barry

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.