Home Forums General Discussion A stupid question about engine oil

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Caroline and Dave
      Participant

Hello All

I’m trying to top up the engine in the Exsis but am feeling a) ignorant b) bewildered. Those websites that tell you to enter the reg and they’ll tell you what you need, seem to be recommending about 30 different kinds of oil… Does anyone who knows one end of an engine from the other have any recommendations or suggestions on which engine oil to use?

Very grateful for any wisdom.

Thank you all.

Dave

Barry & Maggie

Not stupid at all,  Dave.

There was a big problem with Ducato and “engine oil” a few years ago, I think.  As I remember it, Ducato’s original oil recommendation was 10/40.  They changed this later, to a a 0/30 recommendation (not sure why).  But… the Law of Unintended Consequences took over and this thinner viscosity oil led to oil seeping from the crankshaft – not a serious problem but not desirable either!  Fiat have gone back to a 10/40 recommendation.

This is what I’ve picked up from various conversations/forums so may not be 100% correct.

As you say, there’s an awful lot of conflicting opinion on the InterwideWebWorld-thingy.  I use any good quality 10/40 (suitable for diesel use) in my turbo’d 2.8.  These are robust commercial engines so I shouldn’t worry too much, Dave.

Here’s a link that has some good information (Fiat Forum) https://tinyurl.com/y4v3jb4t

Let us know if you discover any more on this topic though.

Barry

Caroline and Dave
          Participant

Thanks, Barry – that’s really helpful (as always). I also got in touch with our mechanic who looked it up in his Big Book of Oil and he came back with the same thing – the same mechanic that rebuilt our windscreen wiper mount-fixing-thingy when it collapsed – so we know he’s a gem!

Thanks again. Sorry the reply took a while – we’re moving house. Sigh…

Dave

Barry & Maggie

Thanks for the confirmation  of that info, Dave.  It’ll help others searching for advice in the future.

And good luck with the move.  I’ve already made my last move!

Barry

Caroline and Dave
              Participant

…which is also my excuse for not posting about the saga of the boot handle replacement. A tale of terrifying incompetence and blunder. All sorted now – so I feel it is my moral duty to save others from the heartache. If you remember, please prod me to get onto it.

Dave

Barry & Maggie

C’mon, then…

You know you want to!

(With pics too, please)

Barry

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.