Home Forums General Discussion wing mirror

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      marley
      Participant

Hi all,

was wondering has anyone had occasion to replace broken mirror glass if so where do I get an original one and are they easy to fit

Barry & Maggie

Yes!  I did!  It was many years ago, when I first owned the Exsis.  I bought the replacement from one of the several advertisers on eBay (can’t remember which one now, sorry).

They are extremely easy to fit.  They are retained by a round fitting that clips into a corresponding ring operated by the electric adjustment motors.  You need to lever/flip the mirror off the mounting- it pops off quite easily but takes courage if you’ve not done it before!  If you can insert a stout wire or bent screwdriver blade in behind the mirror and pull.  Maybe send for the replacement before you do this, so that you can see what the fitting looks like before you start?

Fitting the replacement is just a matter of snapping the round fitting that’s on the back of the mirror, onto the ring on the motors.

A quick interwebnet-thingy search gives this, just one of many… https://tinyurl.com/twsa3f9

Good luck.

Barry

TonyFlisch
          Participant

I had to replace the whole thing after an encounter at speed with a bit of road furniture.  It’s not quite the same as the generic van one as it protrudes further.  No idea what a Hymer replacement would cost but it would be a lot I think. However I was able to use the replacement with the existing mount which was minimally damaged.  I seem to remember it was quite a hassle.  Anyway glass only is dead easy and cheap! Good luck

Tony

marley
            Participant

Hi all,

thanks for info I also damaged the mirror on road furniture in France, struggled all the trip was wondering if there is a generic mirror for the Excise

Barry & Maggie

The mirror parts are generic Fiat Ducato,  not Hymer, so a lot cheaper!

Most of the base vehicle is Fiat Ducato, including front doors and cab.  The only bits that are Hymer are the bonnet, windscreen, the wipers, roof and the bodywork at the rear.  All the rest is Fiat Ducato underpinnings.

Barry

TonyFlisch
                Participant

And the mirror stalks which are longer on the Exsis than the standard van.

Tony

Barry & Maggie

Both long and short mirror stalks are Ducato, not Hymer.

I don’t know why Hymer selected the  “long stalk” mirror option, unless that was the only option offered by Fiat with the chassis cab version Hymer opted for.  The long stalk version is for coachbuilt bodies, because they usually protrude beyond the sides of the base Ducato, but our Exsis’ don’t. .

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.