Home Forums Modifications & Enhancements Upgrade Thule Sport G2 Short – to Lift V16 12V

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      nick and joc
      Participant

Hi,
        Due to the height and difficulty lifting bikes onto the bike rack I’m upgrading my “Thule Sport G2 Short” bike rack to a “Thule Lift V16 12V”.

The top fittings seem to be the same but the bottom fittings are different. I’m trying to think of the best way of doing this, preferably without drilling extra holes in the back of the van.The existing fittings are 600mm apart but the new bottom fittings require drilling two holes 330mm apart.

I’ve emailed Thule to ask if there are any adapters etc. I was wondering if anyone had done this? If so any advice would be appreciated.
        Nick

Barry & Maggie

All I can say, Nick, is that the construction of the back wall (and the other two as well) consists of a thin, outer skin of painted aluminium sheet, with a thick, 3 or 4cm thick core of expanded rigid polystyrene foam, a sheet of expanded steel mesh, with a plasticboard inner wall.  I believe that there are wooden battens inserted in the rear wall for just the reason you illustrate.  If you cannot locate them (with an electronic “locator”) may I suggest contacting either your local Hymer dealer, who can get the answer direct from Germany, or one of the Parts guys (details on Spares page) who may be able to send you a diagram from their parts fiches, or finally, contact Hymer direct yourself (address on Home page) remembering to include your Exsis build number (on the silver sticker by the habitation door).

Please let us know what you discover .

Meanwhile there may be someone on here who has practical experience of this – I regret that I don’t.

Good luck!

Barry

Fred & Gill
          Participant

Hi Nick,

Hope someone comes along soon with experience of fitting a bike rack for you.

I can understand your reluctance to drill additional holes.

can you or get a local fabricator to make a strap or box section to fit the original bottom fittings at 600mm centres, then fit the new bike rack to that using the 300mm centres.

Fred

nick and joc
            Participant

Thanks Barry,Fred,
              My favoured option at the moment is to fabricate a support that uses the existing drillings et, if Thule don’t have a solution,. I don’t have an appetite to make any more holes than necessary.

I’ll let you know the result and I’ll try and capture some pictures of the problem and solution for others.

Nick

Barry & Maggie

Thanks, Nick.  I’m hoping someone will come along who has already faced this problem, to help us out!

Barry

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.