Home Forums General Discussion Sulphur smell

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Dave & Sharon
      Participant

No, nothing to do with curried egg Barry 😃

We’re touring Scotland, and started getting a strong bad egg, sulphur smell.

Visiting a very helpful local garage, we thought it might be the catalytic converter, but on inspection… “no sir you haven’t got a cat!”

The garage checked the full exhaust setup (as we recently had a mid section fitted when chassis welding repairs were being done). But all ok.

I thought the penny dropped when i realised I’d been using the inverter whilst travelling for the first time… “ahh, the inverter caused the leisure batteries to overcharge on the alternator”.

I disconnected the leisure batteries to be safe, and continued the journey…. nope still strong sulphur!

Back to the garage, and after a road test, and a lot of head scratching, the diagnosis…

It was a loose connection on the engine battery! During the welding the other garage clearly hadn’t tightened the engine battery back up tight enough.

For those that have changed it… yep it is a fiddly job, but make sure the connections are tight folks… hydrogen sulphide is not nice.

Cheers
        Dave

Fred & Gill
        Participant

great to hear from you both.

That’s an unusual one, might save a lot of head scratching, so thanks for the warning.

Hope that the  Scottish weather is behaving so that you can really enjoy the scenery….although not so good here down South.

Put my Moto Guzzi 850 v-twin back on the road this year, but not fancied riding it much – it’s a fine weather bike.

We were in Scotland 3 years ago when they had the heatwave and we had 3 wonderful weeks, that was the best of three trips by a long way

Fred.

Dave & Sharon
          Participant

Thanks Fred,
            Just toured through the Cairn Gorns today… absolutely stunning scenery over the tops… for anyone that’s not done it, its a must… an equal to the alps!
            Cheers
            Dave

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.