Home Forums Modifications & Enhancements Refillable Gas

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      cvclaydon
      Keymaster

When we first purchased Helga, we moved the two 6kg calor lite gas bottles from our old motorhome. This gave us the capacity we needed, but I felt they wasted a lot of space in the locker.

Reading Chris & Susan’s post about the Alugas bottle, we bought a 14kg version along with fitting kit.

It went in very easy, a tight fit but as you can see, gives more room with a little extra capacity.

I fitted the filling point next to the BBQ

It was quite hard to see the gauge on top of the bottle, so I got a remote sender and gauge which I fitted just to the right of the main panel with a small switch to turn it on so we don’t have the bright green LEDS shinning all night!

I don’t think we will ever get the cost back of the bottle with the cheaper gas, but the extra capacity, more storage room and been able to get gas in Europe outweighs it.

Barry & Maggie

…and being able to check gas level without either

a) guesswork or

b) rummaging in the boot, in the dark, with a torch and holding an umbrella up ‘cos of the rain!

Great job, Chris.  That 14kg bottle seems the way to go in our Exsis’ locker.  Good recommendation.

katymcgbysea
          Participant

Hi Chris, did you install the bottle and filler yourself?

And are you finding LPG ok here? (I read on another forum that people were finding it a bit more difficult to find).

cvclaydon
            Keymaster

Hi

Yes I did fit it myself, was pretty straight forward, did swap over regulator as original hyper one was too big for the new bottle to fit without cutting the copper gas pipe.

There is no real ‘gas’ work involved, just screwing in hoses as if you where chasing a gas bottle over. When I had a B BQ point fitted, I had it done by a qualified guy as it involved cutting existing gas pipes and fitting in new ones.

Obviously you have to drill a dirty great hole in the side of your beloved Exsis, but measure once, twice, three times, go and have a coffee and then measure again before you get the drill out. As I mentioned, i had already had a BBQ point fitted in the locker, so I had something to easily measure from. Biggest time was chasing the wires in for the electronic gauge, but that is not essential as you can just see the gauge on top of the bottle. I don’t think we will ever get the cost back, but it does give more room in the locker and more capacity (14kg, compared to 2 x 6kg lite) which is always useful.

We live in Ipswich and have 3 garages which sell LPG (shell, Morrisons and an independent) so no problems yet. Haven’t had to find it while been away, but there is a good app myLPG.eu which helps to find garages. It’s not 100%, so is always worth a phone call before travelling.

Hope this helps!

Chris

nozzi
              Participant

Hi all.  We used to carry a 13kg propane which never ran out on us, but had an under slung refillable tank fitted.   Like Chris says, we’ll never recoup the cost.  It was done to give us extra room in the rear locker for a generator to use on skiing trips.

I now find myself  trying to memorise locations of garages with LPG on our trips.  I’ve not had much joy with the LPGfinder websites.  I know from experience there a none to be had on the Isle of Man.

Barry & Maggie

According to my (free) app –  myLPG.eu – Union Mills Garage, Glen Vine has LPG.

Maybe try the app and see if it works for you?

Barry

nozzi
                    Participant

Hi Barry

I had used the mylpg website, and Union Mills was one of the three garages that were listed on the island, none of which did lpg. The other two were Kirk Michael and Ramsey.  An example of it not being 100% reliable. It’s a bit baffling why people  would submit false entries on the site.

Fortunately I wasn’t desperate, and was just researching for future reference.  That was at TT2018, so things may have changed (?)

Fred & Gill
                    Participant

From what I have read recently on other well known large forums, locating refill stations is becoming more difficult. BP & Shell seem to be removing them when they refurbish and other locations just seem to discontinue.

Reports suggest for those that travel overseas ( which is a main factor for fitting them), that while outlets are closing there are still enough not to be a real problem- yet.

A developing problem in the uk for the ever growing camper van sector, though, as many only provide an under slung tank and no space left inside for exchange  bottles.

Fred

nozzi
                      Participant

I have one garage nearby who does lpg, and know of a few others on routes to some of our favourite destinations.

Because of the way it was installed, I still have the option to connect a cylinder in the gas locker if it becomes necessary; but I do like the convenience of a switch and contents gauge in the van and not having to lift cylinders in and out 🙂

Noz

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by nozzi.
                        marley
                        Participant

Hi,

could you tell me how the  gas indicator is fitted ?

Gone me Pete

Barry & Maggie

I don’t know Nozzi’s fitting,  but it is possible to buy a remote “gas contents indicator”.  CAK Tanks used to sell one, but I’ve just had a very quick look on their site and I can’t spot it.  Maybe give them a call if that is what you’re after. http://www.caktanks.co.uk/CAK_Gas.htm

If it’s just an indicator on the tank, mine came with a gauge already fitted on each tank.  Again, maybe speak to CAK about this.

As Nozzi’s is an “under-van” tank (of a type also sold by CAK), I can’t comment on how his set-up would relate to what you’re looking for, Pete.  If you’re looking for a gas tank(s) to be fitted, there are two main (and there are others) tank fitters I know of – GasIt and LeisureGas.  They can advise you.

Good luck.

Barry

nozzi
                            Participant

Hi all

We had ours fitted by a firm in Ringwood , Hampshire, who’s name escapes me without rooting out the receipt.

The contents gauge is similar to Chris’ picture in this thread, and is connected to a float in the tank.

I ended up with a smaller tank than I planned due to available space within the chassis members, but it’s been adequate .  It was nearly twice the price of a Gaslow , but I was prepared to pay for the space.

Nozzi

Barry & Maggie

Thanks for prompt response, Nozzi.  I’ve just re-read the entire thread and spotted Chris’s remote gauge!  Should’ve reminded myself before putting finger to keyboard!

Barry

marley
                                Participant

Hi all,

as i have twin 14kg bottles, the gauges fitted are from gasit, the ones which fit around the neck of the bottle, but its a phaph looking inside the rear flap, especially if you have a motorcycle rack fitted.

i am told the type i have are far from accurate so was looking for an easily visible accurate gauge. the one on the form look ideal if they supply them for bottles? i wonder if when bought they  come with fitting instructions

Barry & Maggie

CAK are the people to speak to, then, if you would like to do it yourself.  Otherwise, GasIt, LeisureGas or a local lpg fitter near you?

Barry

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.