Home Forums General Discussion Lifting the bed.

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Tresjolie
      Participant

We have just returned from a week in Tresjolie.

I still manage to lift the bed on my own. I stand sideways in front of the step with my right hand on the back edge of the bed, then I lean forwards and place my left hand under the front half of the bed and push upwards. When it starts to move upwards I swivel round and push the bed forwards and upwards with both hands on the back edge.

The easier way is Carol pushing the upwards on the front half while I push forwards and upwards on the back edge.

What is required is some mechanical lift for the front half until it gets to the ‘tipping’ point where an easy push and lift on the back edge will get the job done.

A telescopic pole with a foot plate and suction pad on top with a locking pin like those found in awning poles might get the front half supported at the ‘tipping’ point where it would be easy to push the bed up from the back edge. The suction pad is to prevent the pole from falling when it is lifted off the floor. Maybe a rubber ball on top would do as it would fall forwards in the middle of the van.

Anyone think this might work?

Tom

Barry & Maggie

Yes, I do, Tom, for the following reason…

I badly need new hydraulic struts on our Exsis and it’s got to the point that I can no longer single-handedly push the bed up!  While I unlock the latch ready, Maggie starts to push on the second, ‘flap’ part of the bed.  This then makes the start-push easier.  And it’s the start-push that your idea may solve.

Building on your idea, I see a pole that is a specific length (critcal) and fits on the edge of the bed – a short ‘L’-shaped piece of angle  so it won’t slide back and forth?  A rubber buffer of some sort on the other end so it doesn’t damage the floor.  A push on the pole and bed, until the base of the pole can be placed on the floor below the step, wedged there by the step and with the bed half up.  The bulk of the weight of the lift is then done.  As you say, it’s easier to complete the second part of the lift, as it’s the first part that’s the difficult one, having to do it in one go, one smooth movement.  A short push then, while operating the locking handle sees it located.

This would also be brilliant for those of shorter stature, the weaker elderly (like me!), women on their own and so on.  At least one lady member has spoken to me about this very problem.

This is part of my problem… shoulder injuries are playing havoc with me and bed-putting-up is getting really problematic, even when I get the struts replaced – so your idea has really got me thinking, Tom.  A stout, thick aluminium pole…  ‘L’ bracket affixed to to top… rubber pad of some sort affixed at the bottom…

It could work!

Top idea!

Barry

Tresjolie
          Participant

Hi Barry,

Glad I’ve got you thinking about this.

The pole could be fixed. The measurement needs to be at the ‘tipping’ point where the struts will assist the final push. The problem is locating the ends of the pole to prevent damage to the floor and bed.

Tom

Barry & Maggie

It needs a ‘suck-it-and-see’ approach… testing various ideas until you’ve ironed out the snags.

Yes, I see the critical measurement to be the length of the pole, so it supports the bed at the correct point, where the struts take over.  Then there is the connection to the bed – fixed or moveable?  This will be determined by the length of the pole, I guess, but I’m thinking the pole will be too long to be permanently attached. So, the bed/pole connection… a simple ‘cup’ that the pole sits in (to stop it sliding about), perhaps?  And the buffer to protect the floor… what about those big rubber pads, sold to stop awning poles damaging caravan walls?

Here’s something to consider…  if we’re using a pole to push and support, why not push against the bed-base closer to the hinge at the first joint?  I’ve not tried it, but that might be better, getting the push going then holding it, while you then manually go back to give the final, locking, push at the end of the bed?

Something for you to ponder over the weekend,  or while you’re sitting on that riverbank!! 😊

Barry

Tresjolie
              Participant

Bed-assist prototype

Tresjolie
                Participant

1 Adjust pole length above head height. 2 Push the plunger onto the bed. 3 lift the bed until the pole rests on a board to protect the floor. 3 walk to step a push the bed forward. QED

Tresjolie
                  Participant

Hi Barry

I manufactured the prototype from bits in the garage.

The pole is an extendable awning roof support.

The rubber thing is a drain plunger. This holds the pole in position and also can slide around if required.

I went underneath the bed and lifted it with my head and hands. It was reasonably easy.

Once the pole was in position the bed was very easy to move and the pole stuck to the bottom of the bed so it didn’t fall when the bed was lifted.

I’m pleased with the first attempt. Now I need your engineering genius to finish it

Tom

Barry & Maggie

Ha!  I don’t know how I can improve on that, Tom!  The idea is sound,  and you’ve executed a working prototype… I dunno there’s much more that Bodger Barry could do!

We’ll see…

But thank you so much, not only for following through on such a great idea, but giving us all a sight of what you’ve done.  Great stuff!

Barry

Tresjolie
                      Participant

I’m going to refine it by using a hinged pole that locks into position when the bed is lifted.
                        An old fishing brolly of mine uses that technique

Tom

Barry & Maggie

Interesting.  I’ll enjoy seeing this.

I can’t seem to find the reference to the best supplier of our bed struts and the code number.  It’s frustrating because I know I’ve read it on here.   Maybe something that got lost on the old site?

Barry

Tresjolie
                          Participant

There’s a discussion on bed struts in the book which references a Billiington group

Tom

Barry & Maggie

Thanks Tom.  I’ve looked but I’ve not spotted the clear reference that I remember, including the code of the struts and the address of the supplier.

I’ll have another search…

Cheers.

Barry

Fred & Gill
                              Participant

Here you go Barry…..some notes that  I made some years ago when the topic was mentioned and it inspired me to ‘investigate’ in case I needed to change mine at some point – and I found the piece of paper!

I also took photos at the time of the actual struts giving all the info….but I can’t find those, but the info is clearly on the struts.

I seemed to think that Billington group (as per Tom) supply or make them? and if I remember SGS may have been mentioned or came up in my search, or perhaps they manufactured them?. See a photo shot of my notes belowStabilus Strut

Tresjolie
                                Participant

Thanks Fred. I’ll put that in the book

Tom

Fred & Gill
                                  Participant

Bed Lifting…..well Tom, you and Keith (Happy Traveller) have been my inspiration as I believe that of current owners you are probably the only ones older than me.

Luckily I can still manage mine with only the need to brace myself for the action, although in recent years when suffering the odd back or shoulder twinge, I have had the odd moments of intrepidity with that weight above my head.

First class suggestion Tom and an excellent follow through, as it is the tricky manoeuvre between lift and push that is the problem.  The front flap does push up easily, so your comment on the two person operation may also help some folks if they are experiencing difficulty.  You may well have made some folks life a little easier if they adopt either of your ideas.

Of course in my thoughts for the future (although a new van would be easiest… but of course too many compromises), have been altogether more technical and complicated and involved using an electric motor and pulley. The bed is wider than it needs to be, so losing a bit of mattress would allow a right angled vertical support (braced) bolted through the solid base board and mounted at the edge  immediately behind the folding bed flap/locker access.  It would have a pulley at the top and a wire would be attached to the top end of the flap running over the pulley to a motor mounted at the front, one at each side. Or to complicate it even more, possibly one motor with a shaft that might be mounted below the base board on the front of the metal cab above the covered void. I would never contemplate fitting mechanisms to the GRP bodywork.

Farfetched and too ambitious and up to now not needed and probably overridden by the fact that in the SG we can sleep downstairs on the double. In fact, in the last year apart from a few ‘wild camping’ nights Gill has almost always slept downstairs on a single bed arrangement that we have with our modified base cushions that we made from when we first bought the van from new.

Its the simple solutions that are best and I look forward to seeing your fully developed aid.

Regards,

Fred

Barry & Maggie

That’s  amazing, thanks Tom!  Yes, I found the Billington reference – I’ve just got to get out, up into the bed and look at the struts…  maybe tomorrow… or the day after…!!

Many thanks, Tom.

Barry

Tresjolie
                                      Participant

Hi Barry

If you visit the Hymer Exsis SG/SK group on facebook, Ellie Ellesjay has posted a video on how she lifts the bed from underneath. So simple. Basically she uses a step, because of her height, pushes from the point where I place the pole and turns to lift the whole bed from the back edge. Can’t believe I haven’t tried this during the past 15 years.

I don’t want to copy a private video to this web site. Well worth watching.

Tom

Barry & Maggie

Thanks Tom.

Unfortunately, I’m still stuck in the 17th century and am therefore not on any social media.

Would it be possible to ask her to join us and post here?  She’s obviously enthusiastic.

Thanks.

Barry

Barry & Maggie

I’ve been thinking about why I haven’t done things differently regarding pushing the bed up and have come to the conclusion that, simply, I have never needed to!  I was always able to just “push the bed up and lock it”!

It’s only since the recent combination of failing hydraulic struts,  shoulder injury and “age” that has sapped my abilities to carry on as I have done for the past 8 years.

I’ll certainly try that technique… but I’ve got to get those struts sorted anyway.

Thanks Tom.

Barry

Tresjolie
                                            Participant

Barry

This is the step video

<p><span id=”_mce_caret” data-mce-bogus=”1″ data-mce-type=”format-caret”></span><br data-mce-bogus=”1″></p>

Tom

Barry & Maggie

Thanks Tom.  I’ll see if Stephen can interpret or do anything else with it.

Cheers!

Barry

Tresjolie
                                                Participant

Hi Barry

Oliver Dill has posted on FB an upgrade to the bed struts from 200N to 280N. Here’s the information

Regards Tom

Barry & Maggie

Many thanks, Tom.

A great help.

Barry

Viewing 22 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.