Home Forums Modifications & Enhancements Gas struts for upper bed (Old site)

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Barry & Maggie

Ellen Sizer-James

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it might be possible to fit gas struts to help push the bed away?  I’m only 5′ tall and really struggle with the wieght of it.  New owner.

TIA  Ellen SJ

March 21, 2018 at 4:30 PM
        Edit Delete Flag Quote & Reply

Barry & Maggie
        Administrator
        Welcome, Ellen. Gas struts are (or should be) already fitted to your upper bed. Yes, the upper bed can be heavy and I suspect you may need new gas struts (they do lose pressure over time), but even then, the beds can be difficult to push up, especially for those of shorter stature. I’ve considered this aspect myself and I’ve concluded that it would be straightforward, if expensive, to have motor assistance. The best suggestion I can offer is to take your Exsis to a Disability Motor garage, where all sorts of aids for the disabled are fitted to vehicles, and see what they can come up with. The carrot for them would be the possibility of having several more Exsis’ converted – a good business proposition, as I know other owners suffer the same as you. I’d envisaged an electric motor housed somewhere in the upstairs ‘nose’, with a pair of cables running to the bed ends, to pull them up. Not difficult for a proper fitter to design and fit. It just depends on the amount of work they need to put in. It will not be cheap. So… Try fitting new gas struts first, to see if that cures your problem. Search on this Forum for suggestions as to where and which ones to buy. Oh, one tip – if there are two if you, it helps greatly if one of you PUSHES up and forward on the base with the cupboard front – the bed goes up quite easily then. Let us know if you come to any good conclusion regarding this, Ellen… it’s a problem that affects us all.

Barry & Maggie

March 23, 2018 at 10:32 AM

Ellen Sizer-James
        Barry & Maggie at March 23, 2018 at 10:32 AM
        Welcome, Ellen. Gas struts are (or should be) already fitted to your upper bed. Yes, the upper bed can be heavy and I suspect you may need new gas struts (they do lose pressure over time), but even then, the beds can be difficult to push up, especially for those of shorter stature. I’ve considered this aspect myself and I’ve concluded that it would be straightforward, if expensive, to have motor assistance. The best suggestion I can offer is to take your Exsis to a Disability Motor garage, where all sorts of aids for the disabled are fitted to vehicles, and see what they can come up with. The carrot for them would be the possibility of having several more Exsis’ converted – a good business proposition, as I know other owners suffer the same as you. I’d envisaged an electric motor housed somewhere in the upstairs ‘nose’, with a pair of cables running to the bed ends, to pull them up. Not difficult for a proper fitter to design and fit. It just depends on the amount of work they need to put in. It will not be cheap. So… Try fitting new gas struts first, to see if that cures your problem. Search on this Forum for suggestions as to where and which ones to buy. Oh, one tip – if there are two if you, it helps greatly if one of you PUSHES up and forward on the base with the cupboard front – the bed goes up quite easily then. Let us know if you come to any good conclusion regarding this, Ellen… it’s a problem that affects us all.
        Hi, thanks for this comprehensive answer.  There are no gas struts so this I think is the first way forward though no idea how to go about it….

It’s only me in the van – hence the difficulty.  Mty tall 15 yr old son can put the bed away no probs on his own.

I will be going to see a friend who runs a mobile solar power charging rig from the double decker bus he lives in – sufficient to power a small festival.  He is going to fit solar panels for me and  ireckon it is something he could tinker with

March 24, 2018 at 8:09 AM

Fred & Gill
        The gas strut on mine (still original)   has the following printed on it

http://www.stabilus.com.          Part no. 084409 0200N 0333/06 BH05

I did consider changing mine, but have not . I think that I found several suppliers or equivalent and if I remember correctly as Barry indicated there may be information elsewhere and perhaps suppliers.

Do have a look at Tom’s ‘Little Exsis Book’, as you are a new owner.

Best wishes for happy reading and ownership.

If you do experience any problems there is a lot of useful information on this forum. The Exsis was well made and there are several ‘quality’ examples about owned by long term owners.The vehicles are ageing now so it can be expected to have a few problems, but They age well – only last week someone turned around and drove back to where I was parked up and thought that mine was a a “new Hymer model”

Fred

Ruby

March 25, 2018 at 8:55 AM

Ellen Sizer-James
        Thank you.  Sure enough, one of the gas struts is caput.  My friend says I have just bought a vehicle that is too tall for me….  But we’ll see after the new strut is fitted.

I did, however, end up spending the night in the van.  And the next day in A and E having a CT scan.  I needed to get up in the night and misfooted the ladder, fell onto my back from the bed and hit my head on the step for good measure.  I had to abandon the van at the mechanics and just about able to walk again today.  Not drive yet though.  That was a lesson learned a very hard way and my gardening and going away in the van plans completely scuppered for the Easter holidays….  I have to laugh though.  I can imagine seeing the event on video and finding it hilarious.  Nothing broken except my dignity

April 3, 2018 at 11:51 AM

Ellen Sizer-James
        Barry, you were absolutley right about gas struts being there already.  I was looking in the wrong place…

April 3, 2018 at 11:52 AM

Fred & Gill
        Ouch! Thankfully no serious injuries.

You will have to practice the ‘Hymer Manoeuvre ‘  it’s a fun term that was named at a ‘ Exsistravaganza ‘ meeting a few years ago.

For safety reasons you have to swivel around in a crouched position so that your feet are facing the ladder with head towards the front. Locate the appropriate rung on the ladder with one foot and feel that you can support your weight before moving down your other foot and grip the edge of the bed as you descend to the step.

I doubt that you would slip again anyway, whatever method you use, now that you have experienced the consequences

These beds are very comfortable and worth the effort- there are many reports of problems with modern electrically operated drop down beds failing ( although they do have the advantage of dropping down lower, but most of them are transverse  and considerably narrower and shorter.

Glad that you have found the gas struts and can see the length and end fitting- I think that I would advise changing both.

Fred

Ruby

April 4, 2018 at 8:29 AM

Barry & Maggie
        Administrator
        Oh, that’s really bad luck, Ellen. I very nearly came a cropper once myself – I guess we all nearly have at some time or another. Now, I always make sure my TWO hands are gripping the lip along the edge of the bed. Regarding the struts, like Fred, I would be inclined to fit them as a pair, rather than a single one. They do lose power over time and it’s a fair bet that the one that appears OK has also lost some pressure. Two new ones will ensure you get the best lifting performance, important for you. Hope the healing process is going Ok and that you get away soon. Best wishes.

Barry & Maggie

April 4, 2018 at 9:25 AM

Ellen Sizer-James
        I failed at Fred’s step two – ensuring my foot was located on a rung!

Well, I got away.  Did very little and a whole lot of hobbling.  Strangely getting up and down the ladder was not painful but gettin up and down the steps to vehicle and bathroom were excruciating,  Now I’m home, the stairs are my biggest challenge.  But it’s mending bit by bit.

I now have another question but I’ll start a new thread for it!

Thanks all.

Ellen SJ

April 11, 2018 at 10:26 PM

Ellen Sizer-James
        Here’s my question below.  The CAPTCHA needs updating I think – it wouldn’t let me post a new thread.

Hi all.

Â

Â

Â

Can’t seem to work out how to empty my grey waste. I can see the lever under where the loo cassette is but it doesn’t appear to let anything out. Can’t see anything to open where the outlet is underneath the van….

Â

Â

Â

Any words of wisdom please?

Â

TIA, Ellen SJ

April 11, 2018 at 10:35 PM

Barry & Maggie
        Administrator
        A distasteful one, this, Ellen…

It’s happened to me before (not on the Exsis though) – the outlet pipe is possibly blocked.  Just check that there are no other taps fitted to the waste pipe, maybe under the ‘van?

Assuming that you’re working the lever fully and yet nothing is exiting the pipe, what I have done is…  Summon your courage, put your mouth against (NOT around!!) the pipe under the ‘van, maybe with some paper so you don’t actually touch the pipe, and then BLOW! as hard as you can, REALLY blow… and then release the pipe smartly!  Hopefully that one huge puff will loosen whatever sludge has blocked the pipe and the waste will promptly start to flow.  You may have to attempt this twice if you don’t know when the tap is actually in the open position – once with the tap one way, then again with the tap the other way if the frst try is unsuccessful.  Note the open/closed positions of the tap.

As I say, this has worked for me on other ‘vans but I’m puzzled that you appear to have a blockage on the Exsis, because it is such a comparatively large outlet.

Good luck.

Barry & Maggie

April 11, 2018 at 11:12 PM

Barry & Maggie
        Administrator
        PS   We’re experiencing minor problems with the site – CAPTCHA problems are just another symptom.

Barry & Maggie

April 11, 2018 at 11:13 PM

Ellen Sizer-James
        Yuuuuuuuuuk!!!!!!  Can’t I do it with a water hose?  Or a wire coat hanger?

April 12, 2018 at 6:38 PM

Ellen Sizer-James
        Sorry – that should read

Hi,

Thanks for this advice.    Yuuuuuuuuuk!!!!!! Can’t I do it with a water hose? Or a wire coat hanger?

April 12, 2018 at 6:39 PM

Barry & Maggie
        Administrator
        A water hose might be a good idea, Ellen. But it’s too convoluted to accept a wire coat hanger, I believe. My problems occurred ‘on site’ and the quickest, simplest, most straightforward option was a quick blow back up the pipe. But I can understand your reluctance! Try the hose and let us know if that works?

Barry & Maggie

April 15, 2018 at 4:54 AM

Ellen Sizer-James
        Seems to be sorted…. I wonder if there needs to be a certain amount of water in the tank before it comes out of the waste pipe.  Thanks for your input, all.

April 30, 2018 at 9:06 AM

Barry & Maggie
        Administrator
        I think you may be right, Ellen.  The reason I say that is because the design of the waste tank is that it lays flat on the floor.

I’m assuming that the waste pipe therefore comes out of the SIDE of the tank (not the underneath).  This means that the pipe connector, which is a larger diameter than the pipe, must of necessity have a hole that is higher than the bottom of the tank, possibly by as much as an inch/10cms?

Try parking on a slope or the front wheels up on a kerb or similar, and see if this provokes a dribble from the waste.

Barry & Maggie

April 30, 2018 at 6:12 PM

Ellen Sizer-James
        Hi,  i’m adding this here as I stil cant start a new thread as CAPTCHA still isn’t working for me

Evening all,

Â

Sooooo, I’m having greater than teething problems and the dealer is being spectacularly unhelpful – would NOT recommend… long story.

Â

Firstly -Where might I lay my hands on a habiltation door catch. Dealer promised to fix this back in Ocotber but he’s just bought and sent me one off ebay which doesn’t fit

Â

Next…. I’ve struggled with the locks on the boot locker, couldn’t work out how to get them locked. Now one barrell has come out completely and I still can’t lock the other one… So I’m somewhat insecure

Â

Next 2….. I bought LED bulbs at a caravan shop for the 2 ceiling lights and the wardrobe light. Each one has blown, one by one. Which LED bulbs would you recommend for this?

Â

Next 3….. The passenger side window will no longer go down (LHD) lots of fun when i was trying to get through the toll road on the M6

Thanks all,  Ellen SJ

Â

Â

June 6, 2018 at 9:29 PM

Barry & Maggie
        Administrator
        I might be able to assist with a couple of your probs, but right now I’m up in Manchester visiting family so not able to do proper searches. The habitation door lock is not an item that I’ve seen anywhere else. It will be available from Hymer, I’m sure, but… at a price. It might be worth internet searches on “caravan door lock” or similar and see what you find. I’m curious as to what exactly has broken, in case you don’t need an entire new lock? The ‘boot lid’ locks are available to purchase new. In fact I think Fred or Mike has changed theirs recently?? The cab door window needs someone with knowledge to check it. It may be just a fuse that’s blown (but I think BOTH windows use the same fuse? Possibly?). Or it could be a broken switch. Or it could be a mechanical fault in the mechanism or motor itself. It needs someone knowledgeable to look at it, if you can eliminate the obvious simple faults first. If no-one else comes up with any suggestions, I’ll reply again next week, when I’m back home. Meanwhile, nil desperandum… Everything is repairable.

Barry & Maggie

June 9, 2018 at 10:41 AM

Barry & Maggie
        Administrator
        As far as “led bulbs” are concerned, there seem to have a lot of defective or somehow unsuitable LEDs around as I, Charlie and one or two others have found. Persevere, though, using maybe one of the bigger/better suppliers. This is an interesting thread with good information…  (Hmmm… let’s edit this with a TinyURL link)  https://tinyurl.com/y7arbztd  ;

Barry & Maggie

June 9, 2018 at 2:39

Katy McG

Hi Ellen… we (ie me) locked ourselves out of the garage door in Holland, having just arrived. So no loo, no access to the gas… had to crowbar the old locks out with most of the campsite watching to see how the two idiots were!  Fitted new ones when we got home – here is the post from this forum at the time. Hope it helps.

I might need some help here… this is the answer to my enquiry about the garage door locks.

Does that mean I only need to order the N74080 then? We need to replace both handle and lock on our back door.

katy

On 24 Jun 2015, at 15:20, wrote:

Hi Katy

Both on the same page (Ctrl+F often helps to find things on a long page). http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/zadi_locks.htm

The N74080 comes complete with barrel & Keys, the RLV931195 doesn’t but you can order Zadi barrels on the same page if you wish.

June 13, 2018 at 10:00 AM

Barry & Maggie
        Administrator
        That’s brilliant, thanks, Katy.  It’s saved me looking for the answer (just arrived back home last night).

I hope that gets you sorted, Ellen.  Let us know how you get on.

One tip that may help you, whoever does the job – put some penetrating fluid (WD40 or simialr) on the threads at the back (interior side) of the locks.  This may make it a lot easier for whoever does the job to undo them.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Barry & Maggie

June 13, 2018 at 10:11 AM

Ellen Sizer-James
        Gosh, Ive only just seen your replies – thank you!  I sourced a door catch after the dealer sent me one which wouldnt fit and would have exposed drill holes.   The habitation door lock /  handle stopped working too.A helpful and persistent friend fixed the habitation door for me – took him hours of tinkering while we were on a campsite but he did it.  A bottle of Jack Daniels found its way to him next time I saw him!

Window still won’t budge,   The dealer looked at it (that’s another story – I wont be having anything more to do with them and I do not recommendanyone else does either) and wasan#t able to fix it

The boot locks need a cetain knack which I forget every time…..

I did get ne gas struts and can now – with a fair amount of ooomph  and a little fold away step – get the bed away by myself!  Result!

Look forward to seeing the new site

August 9, 2018 at 5:13 PM

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.