Home Forums Modifications & Enhancements Gas bottle access hatch in wardrobe

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Hector
      Participant

Hello campers, we have recently fitted a motorcycle rack to our Exsis (Hector) which means that we cannot open the boot to access the gas when the motorcycle is on the rack. So I decided to fit a hatch in the bottom of the wardrobe so that we can switch the gas on/off from inside the van. I based this on an idea from Peter & Chris, but I used a 6 inch diameter boat inspection hatch which has a tight rubber seal, cost approx £15 on Amazon. I used a dremel multitool with a thin router bit to cut a neat hole in the bottom of the wardrobe (taking care to ensure that there was plenty of clearance between the router bit and the gas pipes under the wardrobe to avoid accidentally damaging the gas pipes). The inspection hatch then fitted into the hole and was screwed in place with the short self-tapping screws that came with the hatch. The finished job is very neat and now it only takes a few seconds to switch the gas on and off. I have attached a few photos, in case anyone is thinking of doing something similar. Best wishes, Ted (all the way from sunny Greece where we are on our latest adventure).Gas access hatch

Barry & Maggie

That’s a great idea, Ted.  I did the self same thing.  It gives great access to this gas/storage area without having to go outside.

Thanks for sharing this.  Have a great time in Greece, both of you.

Barry

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.