Home Forums General Discussion Flyscreen

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      marley
      Participant

Hi all,

I have been looking for a door flyscreen, and was wondering if there is a generic  one which with modification would fit, I would appreciate any suggestions.

gone me Pete

Barry & Maggie

My experience is that there are several, Pete.  Some “work” while others are less successful.  It often depends on the individual, I think.

I bought a Lidl one, but have never got round to fitting it.  In the past, I’ve had the “cats tails” variety, which was successful in still air, but s nightmare when it was a little breezy!

Fred & Gill have a good arrangement, I believe.  I’ll let Fred explain the workings of his, but it seemed a good idea when I saw it.

So… that doesn’t help you much, Pete!  Sorry!  Just knowing what you want is the answer but for a first-time-purchaser this isn’t really an option.

Good luck.

Barry

Fred & Gill
          Participant

There must be a 1001 options for fly screens, but having got fed up with the overlapping ones that are a buggers muddle to get through and others that flap in the breeze and let the blighters in anyway –  we found a solution that still works for us.

Before replying I checked out on Toms wonderful ‘Little Exsis Book’ and found reference to my post of a few years ago – it can be found under Fly Screens section 64 on page 597/996, along with other comments on this subject.

I have just fitted it up in the van (quick as a flash) as it is held by a Velcro strip   along the top and we have added 5 little strips down each side to keep it taught and aid the coming together of the magnets, click click click. just push to open and walk through and give each side a quick flap and it just comes together. We did buy the second screen because the magnets were 170mm apart and were a bit gappy. The white one stitched inside is sufficent to prevent this and makes the whole net hang better anyway – and they don’t come through. I will post some photos that I have just taken, after I have uploaded them

I have also just checked to see if this ‘disposable’ item is still available……and would you believe it, it is!

Look up JML Snap Screens magnetised Mesh Door Curtain, I also found it in Argos still at £10.

Here is what I copied from p.597.

Its a two piece net held together at the centre by magnets and by self adhesive
            Velcro at the sides. It only cost £10 at Wilko – but at the first trial fitting we
            thought the gaps between the magnets was too big allowing gaping – so we bought
            another (cheap enough at £10). Gill joined them together with black outer & white
            inner offsetting the magnet positions to decrease the gaps and prevent gaping.
            There is a fair bit of sewing – as the original nets are too long & too wide & and a
            weight has to be added to bottom. Gill is brilliant dressmaker & machinists…..
            perhaps we need a ‘Sewing Bee’ at the Exsistravaganza.
            It functioned really well and was a joy to use -‘just push through at the centre and
            it just clasps back together with the magnets at the centre with very little faffing
            around with the net. Perhaps the double layer also acts as a breeze barrier also.
            We only really saw midges one night whilst wild camped by a river – it worked
            well.

Fred

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Fred & Gill.
            Barry & Maggie

Thanks as ever, Fred!

Barry

Fred & Gill
              Participant

In fairness to all other solutions that folks have found over the years, please remember that this works for us and is not necessarily better than other options – but as so far this is the only reply, it’s something to start with.

Unfortunately, I think that we can only post one photo at a time so you will have to work through each one.  It folds up very compactly and can be scrunched up much smaller than this as shown in the kit bag that Gill made from excess fabric. We roll it up to avoid any creases.

Fred & Gill
                Participant

In fairness to all other solutions that folks have found over the years, please remember that this works for us and is not necessarily better than other options – but as so far this is the only reply, it’s something to start with.

Unfortunately, I think that we can only post one photo at a time so you will have to work through each one.  It folds up very compactly and can be scrunched up much smaller than this as shown in the kit bag that Gill made from excess fabric. We roll it up to avoid any creases.

Fred & Gill
                  Participant

Photo from the inside showing the ‘white side’

It is fitted across the top with one long length of Velcro attaching to a fixed piece which stays in place under the shelf. We used 5 separate strips down each side to keep tight to the wall of the van and taught to ensure the magnets easily align with each other , click click click. There are weights in the bottom to hang properly and seal against the floor.

Fred & Gill
                    Participant

Fly screen held open and you can see the black outer magnets, which were too far apart at 170mm between and left little gaps. The white inside magnets from the white inner blind can be seen filling the gap as they were offset to hold it all together nicely

Fred & Gill
                      Participant

All closed up.

Apologies for boring the pants off those not interested

Fred

marley
                        Participant

Hi all,

thanks for the information, and all the photos, i will go down to Argos this week and have a look, i see that your Exsis is red, just like mine didnt know there were many out there?

Fred & Gill
                          Participant

Hope the info is useful for you Marley.

Regarding the colour Red……if you look back to 2nd October 2019, you will see that I responded to your question about red vans after a prompt from Barry and a quip from Barry about memory- what memory. Our grey hairs don’t come alone.

Which prompts my grey cells about the other red owner I was harping on about – think it was either a Ken or maybe Nick & Joc???

anyway, I bet half a dozen would probably cover it

Fred

Barry & Maggie

You certainly win the prize for ‘memory’, Fred!  I hang my head in shame!!

Barry

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.