Home Forums General Discussion Final Notification…

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Author
      Barry & Maggie

I’ve just had a message from my Son, Steve (who some of you know and who ‘runs’ the site for me).  It’s self-explanatory.

“Well, here it is…  The date for automatic renewal of the domain name is 26/07/2020.  It doesn’t expire until the following week, but if you wait until then the cost will go up as it will be a NEW Domain Name and not the Renewal price.

So if no payment is made the site will just stop being available.

This is the first of a few things that need to be bought so the decision has to be made in the coming couple of weeks really…”

If no-one steps up, it is with my great regret that the site will just not be available any more and all the information contained therein will be lost.

I therefore urge you all to download The Little Exsis Book before it is lost, PLUS any other posts on the site that you consider might be useful in the future.

And a final appeal – if anyone is willing and able to run the site, please let me know as soon as possible.  All the help and guidance you need will be provided.

Best wishes to you all.

Barry

Fred
        Participant

Hi Maggie and Barry , I am a new member and already I have found  advice and help you give and of other members invaluable .  In fact the only source available at all ! It would be tragic for both you and members if it were to end . I have had already many problems with my Exsis but can see as all of you do it is a wonderful van maybe flawed in places but best designs usually  are ,  you can’t have perfection. So even though I have been a member a short time already you have given me years of advice for which I thank you. I only wish I could help Barry but like you I am ready for a more peaceful escape after years in the pressure cooker of life and we both hope to disappear somewhere into our lovely countryside, with our van of course. So good luck and health to you both and from Kath and I a very big thank you .

Kath and Fred

Barry & Maggie

Nice words, thank you, Kath and Fred.  That was exactly my aim when I took over this site – to assist and inform when, frankly, there are so few people who can help.  Who better than a fellow owner?

I hope we can somehow manage to keep this site running and all the info it contains.  It’s looking bleak at the moment, I’m afraid.

Happy travels in your Exsis!

Best wishes to you both.

Barry

TonyFlisch
            Participant

I’m sorry Barry is stepping down.  This is a great resource,

If no-one wants to step up to the plate to run the forum then all I can suggest is that we all start to use the Facebook page created by Jan de Bloois called Hymer Exsis SG/SK.  A lot is in Dutch but Facebook will translate and much is in English anyway.  Its a private group so you have to be accepted after requesting membership.  It mixes social posts with tech stuff.

If I were 10 years younger Id probably offer to take over, but these days Im trying to divest myself of such responsibilities.

It would be good if we could share email addresses so we can keep in touch.

Mine is Tony@Flisch.net

Barry & Maggie

Good idea, Tony.

At least one member is distressed enough to have contacted me privately with an offer of money to go towards supporting this site and the information therein.   Two aspects…  it needs about £175-odd per year (with a 2-year subscription) – this is what I’ve been financing thus far.   So it would need a group of members to come together to provide the sufficient funds, not just one member.  The second aspect is that it needs “someone” at least half-knowledgeable  to actually run the site (there’s virtually nothing to do, but someone has to “be there”).

So… the two points, someone to just keep things ticking over, and a group of members to come up with sufficient money to pay the subscription – 2 years for c£360.  The person taking over the site could alter it so that access can only be obtained on the appropriate payment.  Can it be done in the three weeks left?

My son Stephen (who actually runs this site as a favour to me) has sent me this…

“Please thank the members of the site from me as well.  I wish them all the best in their Exsis adventures.”

I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Barry

nozzi
                Participant

Hi all

I’ll be sorry to lose the Exsis forum, and bit of me could be tempted to take it on; but then  I remember all the other things I’ve got to do.  My more social and techy other half has suggested a private Facebook group might be the answer, as it wouldn’t involve any costs for the administrator.

I don’t use Facebook but other people might know more about it, and know whether it would be worth organising .

In the meantime Barry, thanks for running  it so far and best wishes for the future.

Nozzi

Barry & Maggie

Thanks, Nozzi.

I’ve just today heard of a couple of Facebook Groups that are associated with Exsis’ and Hymers in general.  Unfortunately, I’m not on Facebook, but I know many are.

Barry

Fred & Gill
                    Participant

The Freewebs site that was originally set up by Mike Warlands in 2008/9 and then run so enthusiastically by Barry became unreliable with poor support (well you get ought for nought).

Two years ago Barry (with the aid of his son Stephen) set up this new site, unselfishly funding it and running it as the administrator.

I think that we Exsis owners not only owe him a debt of gratitude as some have expressed already on this Forum, but the respect and acknowledgement in the form of a payment so that the site can continue.

The financial cost for the next two years is £362 as shown below (not that I understand any of it)

Domain Name Hosting 2 years                                  £32

Website Hosting & Database 2 years                       £200

SSL Certificate  2 years                                                £120

Email Verification 1 year                                             £10

I propose that if many members contributed only £20 (that’s only £10 / year!!!!) , then I will fund the shortfall up to a maximum of £150.

We need to get on with this urgently as payment needs to be made by 26th July 2020 -only weeks away.!!!!

In our traditional friendly spirit and not applying pressure on an open Forum….. Please email your commitment and promise to pay £20 to Barry at  hymerexsis@gmail.com

Thankfully we may have one volunteer to run the site after Barry has handed over the reigns, but please if there is someone else who could do this contact Barry. He still has Exsis running through him so he will continue to be there in the background and willing to help the new administrator at start up

If we do this and save the website for now, this will allow time for Exsis owners to assess what the future set up should be.

This website has lots of useful information such as articles and supplier contacts (registered users only) in addition to the Forum.

Facebook options may well not have the flexibility and historical information that this site offers – I just don’t know as I don’t use social media, but I have asked a trusted member for a comment on this matter.

The email address sharing proposal is another loose arrangement that, whilst better than losing all contact, has none of the benefits and comradery of the Exsis Owners Forum.

Please support Barry and each other,

Fred

Mikesidey
                      Participant

Hi Fred, I’m on the road so only have time for a quick reply. You can count on my £20. This is an excellent initiative and thank you very much. Just let me know in due course where to transfer the money. Cheers, Mike.

Barry & Maggie

Thank you for all of that, Fred.

Any monies collected will be recorded and held by me until a suitable moment for disbursement by whoever takes over.  If no-one is forthcoming, or insufficient funds received, or it is not possible to continue for any other reason, all monies will be refunded in full and sadly the site will die.  But… I’m very hopeful.

PayPal payments to…

paypal.me/hymerexsis

I will keep you all updated on the progress of this.

Thank you so much, all of you, especially Fred, Tom, Mike and so many others.

Barry

Mikesidey
                          Participant

Sent Barry, fingers crossed. Cheers, Mike

Barry & Maggie

Received with grateful thanks, Mike.  Cheers!

Barry

katymcgbysea
                              Participant

This site is an invaluable resource; absolutely invaluable and it would be a real shame to lose the information it holds. Not to mention lose touch with everyone here. The Facebook group is a good supplement but this site is very important. An active owners group feels like it keeps the value of the exsises high because it enables us all to keep them soundly maintained.

Barry (& son) you have been gems and gents and maybe our paths will cross again. I’d like to hope soz

cheque is in the post, so to speak.

Barry & Maggie

Thank you, Katy & Alastair.

M’wah!

Barry

k9dougie
                                  Participant

Barry,

£20 sent with much thanks for the efforts you put into this site.

Dougie

Barry & Maggie

Many thanks, Dougie.

The PayPal link for payment is  paypal.me/hymerexsis

Thank you, all.

Barry

jacaldo
                                      Participant

We are new owners and didn’t realise that Barry had been paying out of his own pocket to run the site.  I would like to suggest that if more than the required money is collected to keep the site alive, Barry should keep a balance to cover his costs.

Alan

Barry & Maggie

That’s very kind of you to suggest that, Alan, but if there is an excess, I would prefer it to go towards supporting the site in two year’s time.  Or support “our” Exsis favourite charity.

We have over £100 now sent in, but we’ll need double that, plus Fred & Gill’s magnificent gesture of up to £150 to give two year’s breathing space.  We also now have a firm offer to run the site – I’m just waiting for final confirmation.  This was the other problem.

I’m staggered that in virtually just ONE DAY we have managed this.  It just shows what a lovely group of people there are in our little Exsis community.  I discovered that on our first Exsistravaganza, organised by Fred & Gill.  The subsequent ones were just the same – all nice people.

Thanks again, Alan.

Best wishes.

Barry

Pippa2018
                                          Participant

Hello,

It is Simon from the Netherlands, just paid my 20,-

already used the little exsis book, so happy to contribute.

i hope there will be sufficient funds for two years.

Cheers!

Simon

Barry & Maggie

Thank you so much, Simon – that’s very kind of you.

Best wishes,

Barry

Mario
                                              Participant

nice to help those who have always helped you

best regards from Mario, Italy

Barry & Maggie

Very many thanks, Mario.

You’re very kind.

Best wishes,

Barry

Barry & Maggie

Many thanks, Jean M. (you know who you are!)

We’re very grateful.

Barry

Nexus963
                                                    Participant

Great site, let’s keep it going. Funds sent.

Many thanks

Leigh

Barry & Maggie

Many thanks, Leigh.  That’s very kind of you.

Best wishes,

Barry

Chris and Peter
                                                        Participant

Done 😊 It’s the least we can do! Thanks again, Barry, for your time, energy, advice – and money paid out of your own pocket until now. Thanks, Stephen, for your invisible but no doubt essential support. And thanks, Fred and Gill, for your generous offer (which I’m sure will not be needed when enough members are aware of the issue).

Barry & Maggie

Many thanks, Chris & Peter.

That’s very kind of you.

Best wishes,

Barry

Chris and Susan
                                                            Participant

Hello everyone
                                                              Fantastic to see all the support – I’m sure there are very few Exsis on the road that haven’t been modified, repaired or rescued thanks to the info on these pages!
                                                              Very happy to chip in!

Chris and Susan

Barry & Maggie

Many thanks, Chris & Susan.

We’re about two-thirds there…  and I hope that we have a new ‘leader’ lined up too.

It will all happen within a few days – either we have the full amount to renew for the next two years, or…

But let’s not think about that – be positive!

Thank you ALL for your contributions.  This is the PayPal address to make contributions…

paypal.me/hymerexsis

Best wishes,

Barry

Barry & Maggie

We currently have (as at 11am, 3.7.2020)…

£160 paid

£40 pledged (not received yet)

£20 from me

In addition is Fred & Gill’s pledge, which I hope not to have to use.

So… still a long way to go.

Barry

Barry & Maggie

Very many thanks, Tom – you’re very kind.  All received.

Best wishes.

Barry

Mary and Richard
                                                                    Participant

Hello to all

Very happy to chip in Barry, and more if needed.

Thank you for all your hard work over the years, and every good wish for the future.

Mary & Richard

Barry & Maggie

That’s VERY kind of you, Mary and Richard. PayPal contributions here, please…
                                                                        paypal.me/hymerexsis

Thanks again, both of you.  Hope you’re both keeping well?

Best wishes,

Barry

Oz
                                                                        Participant

Afternoon Barry and Maggie,

£20 sent to you’re Paypal. Worth every penny!

Joolz and Oz

Barry & Maggie
                                                                          Moderator

Very many thanks, Joolz & Oz.  It’s very kind of you.

Fingers crossed!

Barry

• #2870
                                                                            Barry & Maggie
                                                                            Moderator

Very many thanks, Mary & Richard.  You’re very kind.

We’re very close now…  more information is imminent…

Best wishes to you both.

Barry

Viewing 35 reply threads
                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.