Home Forums General Discussion exhaust fumes through passenger front window ?!*?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Tom and Phyllida
      Participant

This topic may have been covered before , but when we are motoring in our wonderful Exsis, if Phyllida opens the passenger front window whilst we are driving, there is an unpleasant smell of exhaust fumes entering the cab area! We are surprised at this because, as is probably the case with other Exsises (??) the exhaust is on the drivers side !! Cannot see how the gases travel under the vehicle and upwards when we are travelling at  between 50-60mph. There is no similar problem when opening the drivers window.

I saw a post on the old site about fitting an exhaust extension – is this the solution, or is there another fix?

Incidentally, I also noticed previous posts about o er reading of the speedo and tacho. Ours over reads by about 10% . Never the less, on a trip south to Perth and Stirling over the weekend, we covered about 390 miles on 10 gallons of fuel ! even if the tacho is correct, we were thrilled by the consumption. The Exsis has now done an indicated 42,000 miles or so ( maybe just 38,000 of the tach itself is over reading).

What kind of fuel consumption are others getting ?

Tom and Phyllida

Barry & Maggie

These may be the posts you remember…?

Barry & Maggie
          Administrator
          (Posted on behalf of Fred & Gill) After all these years of experiencing a whiff of exhaust fumes with a cab window open I decided to try to eliminate it just before we went to Scotland in May/June. I fitted a curved deflector and it worked a treat – you see we enjoyed brilliant weather and managed to slowly tour and enjoy the scenary with our windows down. Can you believe that our Forum Chief Barry has somehow got things fixed and I was able to post a photo into the Photo Gallery – thats why I have delayed and only just tried again. The component is Simply ETC75 Curved Exhaust Trim76mm from Xtreme Auto Accessories – think I paid £8.75 delivered. I measured the exhaust (from memory) at 63mm and the rolled end at 76mm so I hoped that I could just fit it over the end and tighten up….. However, it wasn’t quite that simple as it would not quite go over the rolled end. The solution was reatively easy – I cut off the rolled end up to half way and hoped to push it over with a nice tight fit, but I had to cut off about another 5-10mm off each side to get it to slide over and tighten with a nice fit. To cut I simply turned the hacksaw upside down and cut upwards against the rolled edge – I was laying down and it was a bit of effort in that difficult position. You can adjust the angle of deflection and how far you wish to bring the tailpipe out from the vehicle – I went for looks and kept it so that it only protrudes slightly. It works a treat. The surprise Exsis couple that I found secluded away in Scotland (Neil and Gill – still not joined!) loved it and I gave them the details to buy one. My engine is the 2.3JTD – please check that you have the same exhaust and size measurements. And now to see if that clever Mr barry fix it has sorted the posting issue. Fred (Fred & Gill)

June 27, 2018 at 6:07 PM
          Edit Delete Flag Quote & Reply

Barry & Maggie
          Administrator
          That’s good, Fred. As we don’t drive with windows open (it’s either too hot or it’s too cold!) we haven’t experienced that problem. It would also seem to be a very good option if, say, you accidentally bashed and damaged the tailpipe. Not a lot of money, is it?

Barry & Maggie

Another thread, mainly about fridge venting, but it had a relevance to exhaust fumes entering habitation…

Fridge: hot ‘n’ cold

Chris & Peter
          Two fridge related questions.

1. When the fridge is running on gas, it cools beautifully but the side panel of the cupboard gets really hot to the touch. Also the bottom of the cupboard above gets pretty warm. Is that normal?

2. When a cold wind blows from the side into the fridge ventilation panels, it goes straight into the inside of the van, especially around the top left corner of the fridge. Does anyone know of a way to get rid of the icy draft without preventing correct ventilation?

Peter

April 19, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Barry & Maggie
          Administrator
          1.  In my experience, this is normal.

Small, 12v cooling fans (2 recommended but 1 can suffice for our smaller ‘fridges) may keep the ‘fridge running better and, important for you, the adjacent compartments cooler? Don’t use the fans in winter though. Kits are available but computer fans seem most popular – you just need to add a small thermistor (thermostat) to make it operate automatically.  Otherwise operate it on/off by switch.

There’s a good discussion thread here…

http://tinyurl.com/poodw9f

And how to do it yourself here…

http://tinyurl.com/kphf89g

A kit to do the job is available from CAK Tanks, Product Code  FFT1 or FFT2, on page 48 of their superb downloadable catalogue…

http://tinyurl.com/ohm9y5w

2.  There was a large-ish gap (unforgiveable in a Hymer!) both above and below my ‘fridge.  This was where the ‘fridge was installed by sliding it in to the compartment but, crucially, Hymer hadn’t fitted the recommended sealing strips all round  I easily sealed the gaps with a tube of silicon.  There is still a very slight ‘crack’ on either side but any draught there is imperceptible.  The major draughts were cured with the silicon.  There is a very slight concern with this lack of sealing in that a tiny amount of gas fumes could conceivably leak to the interior of the vehicle.  The quantities would, I believe, be so minuscule that there are no health concerns but should you smell “fumes” inside the ‘van, this could be a source.

Best wishes to you and all our readers in Belgium!

Barry

Barry & Maggie

April 19, 2015 at 12:40 PM

Tony
          How do you get to the gaps?  I get exhaust fumes coming in through the fridge vents when driving if I open a window

April 20, 2015 at 4:52 PM

Barry & Maggie
          Administrator
          That’s really extreme, Tony and needs sorting from a safety point of view if nothing else.

If you look above and below the ‘fridge you can probably see the gaps.  We have different ‘fridges fitted, but they all go in the same way – slid into the cabinet.  If you really cannot locate the gap, park with the offside facing into a strong prevailing wind, then you can easily feel the draught and exactly where it’s coming from.  That’s how I first identified my problem – sitting inside the Exsis on a blustery, cold evening and wondering where the cold wind was coming from!

I used a tube of silicon sealant (fitted into a mastic ‘gun’) and squirted copious amounts into the gaps.  The tiny gaps at the side were virtually invisible and with negligible draught.  In your case though, Tony, I’d be inclined to seal round the entire ‘fridge, for safety’s sake.

Barry

Barry & Maggie

April 20, 2015 at 5:53 PM

Fred & Gill
          Gill noticed draught above fridge when van was new.

Brownhills (reluctantly  saying fridge removal would be difficult) removed the complete outside top vent and baffle plate to give better access and then applied sealant along top of fridge – it did the trick.

Tony, we have always had a whiff of exhaust if passenger window open slightly…..I have found that lowering drivers side a little seems to compensate and relieve problem. I have never thought that it comes from fridge area, but rather thought it sucks in through driver door area or base seat belt  and therefore opening the window fractionally balances it up. Not a problem if we keep all the windows closed.

Never bothered to try to cure it.

Ruby

April 21, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Chris & Peter
          I had another look from the outside. Bit of a sloppy job they did… There are some strips and bits and pieces that don’t quite fit. There’s a notable gap along the top side of the back of the fridge compartment that I’m going to try and close off. Hymer used a kind of weatherstripping so I’m going to try that, rather than silicon on the inside of the van; it seems to be able to withstand the heat quite well.

We get a fair dose of exhaust fumes whenever we drive with the driver window open. No idea where that comes from: the fridge and the exhaust are on opposite sides of the van and I can’t imagine fumes blowing to the front and upwards while driving.

April 21, 2015 at 9:59 PM
          Edit

Fred & Gill
          Participant

The exhaust deflector absolutely does the trick, looks good and cheap too.

We enjoyed glorious weather in Scotland in May with the windows open and not a whiff.

We remark on the result and how simple the fix was on every trip (should have listened to Gill years ago).

Thanks for posting the above info Barry – you are a whizz with searching

Fred

Barry & Maggie

The icing on the cake, Fred…

your picture!

“You can see it shining, just in front of the step.”

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.