Home Forums Modifications & Enhancements Boot handle

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Caroline and Dave
      Participant

Hello All

Caroline’s husband, Dave, here. I’m trying to replace one broken boot handle on our Exsis and have managed to buy a replacement, swap the lock… and now cannot remove the broken remains of the old handle. I came across a post from Fred in the Little Exsis Book where he said he was having the same problem. He  wondered if there was some fixing or boss between the outside and inside of the boot door that made the whole mechanism unmoveable but there was no response to that – and I also came across some photos from the old forum…

https://exsisowners.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=16071763

showing Fred and Gill triumphing – but no words to go with the photos.

So I’m hoping Fred sees this and can reveal all! Or if anyone else can throw any light, I’d be very grateful!

Dave and Caroline

Barry & Maggie

I can’t help you, Dave, as I’ve not touched my boot handles yet, but I’m sure Fred will be along shortly.

Meanwhile, have you seen Harvey’s Item 68 on page 576 of the Little Exsis Book (with accompanying photos)?  There may be additional information there to help you if you’ve not read it already.

Good luck and let us know how you sort it, please?  Thanks.

Barry

Traveller3
            Participant

Hi not sure if you fixed this problem, but I have just reached mine, the lock comes in three different pieces, I purchased mine from Brownhills they were really helpful. A very easy fix if I can be of any help.

Ken

Fred & Gill
            Participant

Hello Dave and welcome to the forum , well done for finding those old photos – there is some explanation within the photos.

If you combine that info with the information from Harvey as reference by Barry you will have a better idea.

Problem is the old grey matter and memory isn’t what it was and I need some time to think it through properly, but for starters……

The metal Hymer extension fits onto the short original lock and is held by a grub screw.

i didn’t know for sure if it screwed onto the heavy thread (likely) or just fitted snugly over and held in place by the grub screw – and as you note, nobody else knew or replied.

The grub screw was corroded in- so rather than drill it out and try to remove the Hymer extension piece one way or another, I played safe and used the original body and just fitted the new handle to it.

My problem was that the handle would not turn because the body had seized in the black boss. This was caused by the white spacer piece breaking allowing damp and muck in. The spacer holds the plastic trim panel away from the boot. It is just plumbing waste pipe and can be pieced back together and fitted inside a larger 32mm waste pipe.

I cleaned up the corroded surface of the Hymer extension piece, greased it and put it back together using the old body boss ( black) and fitted the new handle to the old unit.

I removed the new lock barrel from the new handle and fitted the original lock barrel to keep the keys the same. It is still working fine.

Hope this helps, I’ll try to recollect my thoughts and also research the Exsis Book if I get time ( in the middle of bathroom project at the moment)

Fred

Caroline and Dave
              Participant

Thanks, all. I’ll have a look at the weekend, when I get spare hours coinciding with daylight. Thanks for thoughts so far. Much appreciated. Hopefully I can fight the urge to turn to the sledgehammer method…

Dave

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.