Home Forums General Discussion ABS woes

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      TonyFlisch
      Participant

EXSIS ABS WOES

I have a Silver 2006 Exsis SG with the 2.8 JTD (Iveco) engine

I bought it with 12000 miles on the clock a year and a half after it was registered. It’s been pretty well fault free all that time – certainly no real problem until about 5 years ago when the ABS/ASR warning lights came on intermittently.  Running for a few miles then switching off, seemed to reset it more often than not.  However, when the MOT date came around the lights went on and refused to go out.  The garage in Stirling where I got the MOT done – they had a high building that could accommodate the van – said they had a technician they dealt with who could repair it.  That duly happened and all was fine – for a few years until the lights came on again.  There was no communication at all with the ABS pump via OBD. This time I sent the pump to a company near Exeter because my garage’s preferred repair company BBA Reman, were not open after COVID shutdown.  The pump came back with a report that there was no fault with the unit, and they suggested the wiring.  My local garage was really sceptical so I called the guy and he then found out from his technician that they had been unable to test it due to not having the right cables but they had opened it and failed to see any visual fault!

By now BBA Reman had opened but with a backlog and my pump was sent to them.  They said they could find no fault and suggested the wiring.  However, they phoned a day later to say that they had discovered the rig they were using for testing was faulty and a retest showed a fault in the control unit.  They opened it and reported that some other person had been tinkering with it and they could not guarantee their repair.  They did repair it and the system worked fine.  I got my MOT and returned home happy.  A week later the lights were on again.  BBA Reman said they could not repair it again and would try to get a replacement pump.  They were however unable to source a replacement.

I found one on Ebay in Poland for €850.  The garage suggested I hold on while they tried to source one maybe a bit less expensive.  They failed at that and I went back on Ebay – pump sold!

I then tried a whole raft of these part finder websites and got two hits – Both from a garage in Macclesfield – one for £600 and the other for £900.  The first was warranted for 3 months the second for a year.  I’ve handed over my cash for the £900 one from Germany and now await delivery.

I may have been unlucky, but the pump is sited under the vehicle and is not well protected against road spray.  I may well manufacture a better cover for it and certainly cover the controller in silicone grease.

I’ll let you know how I get on once the part arrives.

This, by the way, has been going on for nearly three months!  It would be good to be able to get back on the road though goodness knows if this is going to be possible now.

Tony

Piers Calascione
        Participant

Hi Tony,

Sorry to hear of your ABS pump problem. I’ve just been though the same thing. I got a reconditioned pump from Poland on ebay. It arrived ok, local garage fitted it & all has been well since. I hope all goes well with yours.

Fred & Gill
          Participant

Sorry to hear about the ABS woes of Tony and Piers.

Lets hope its not going to be too common on these old Ducato’s.

Thanks for sharing the info, shame you didn’t find a recognised replacement / reconditioned supplier.

What do I want to be owning an old vehicle for? ….then I remember it’s because it’s an Exsis!

Fred

TonyFlisch
            Participant

UPDATE

Got a replacement pump from Germany – second hand cost £900 !!

Exsis now back on the road.  I missed out on the Polish one!

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.